Yes, chicken can be boring. But not with this recipe. Wrap it in savory prosciutto and watch them come back for more. Here’s my easy recipe for Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken. Enjoy!
I was standing in line at the local health food store staring at the food magazines while I waited. I am a total amateur photographer and am always looking for inspiration and ideas when it comes to food styling. On the cover of one of the mags was a picture of chicken breasts wrapped in prosciutto. What a great idea! It looked delicious.
Know what I did? I got out of line, bought me some prosciutto and chicken thighs, and proceeded to go home to figure out how to make it. I am not really a fan of chicken breasts, so I went with juicier chicken thighs instead. I guess it would have made sense to look at the recipe at the store, DUH!!! I did a quick internet search and found several recipes, and I gave it a go. This is what I came up with:
All of the recipes I saw online just baked the chicken once it was wrapped. I wanted a crispy prosciutto layer, so I crisped them up a bit before baking. I have a ridiculously large rosemary bush outside my front door that is literally threatening to take over the walkway, so I threw some of that in. Lemon is always good too. I am actually seriously impressed how easy and delicious this meal turned out.
Want a new chicken recipe to add to the family meal rotation? Want to impress your dinner guests with a fragrant, savory meal? This easy chicken recipe is it. My family devoured the whole thing in one sitting. Not even one piece for lunch leftovers.
Hope life is sweet for you all as the kids go back to school and we move toward fall time. Looking forward to pulling in a bit after a fun and busy summer!
Prosciutto Wrapped Chicken
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 8 slices pf prosciutto
- 3 TBS ghee, tallow, duck fat, or coconut oil, melted
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt (like this)
- 8 sprigs of rosemary, about 4 inches long
- ghee, tallow, duck fat, or coconut oil for skillet
- GARNISH: chopped rosemary and lemon zest
- Preheat oven to 400’F. Place a oven-safe baking/cooling rack on a large baking pan and set aside.
- Combine melted fat of choice in a large bowl with garlic, lemon juice, lemon zest, and salt. Drop in chicken thighs and toss to coat.
- Peel 8 pieces of prosciutto apart and lay flat on a cutting board or large plate.
- Pick up one chicken thigh, fold in half and place sprig of rosemary in between the fold. Wrap a piece of prosciutto around the chicken thigh, overlapping slightly underneath. Repeat until all thighs are wrapped.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high. When pan is HOT, drop in 1 tsp on fat of choice and swirl to coat bottom. Cook wrapped chicken thighs 3 minutes on each side, until prosciutto is nice and crisp. You may need to do this in batches or use 2 skillets.
- Place thighs onto prepared baking rack/pan and bake in oven for 18-20 minutes, until cook all the way through.
- Arrange onto serving platter and garnish with finely chopped rosemary and lemon zest. Enjoy!