I’m a busy lady, but I like REAL food. I like to feed my family a wholesome dinner every night. It’s the only time of day that we all actually sit down with each other and connect. Even if it is only for 15 minutes, it mean a lot to me. That being said, I have to stay organized as far as meals go. I find that if I have a rhythm and a plan, I have less stress around meal times. That brings me to today’s recipe: Cilantro Lime Chicken.
I cook a whole chicken EVERY week. I will either roast it in the oven (during cool weather) or BBQ it on the grill. I provides 2 solid meals for our family with a bit of leftover for snacking on or lunches. The first night, we just eat the chicken with steamed veggies of some sort. What’s left of the chicken gets turned into either chicken soup (with homemade bone broth) or chicken tacos.
Buying a whole chicken is much more economical than buying already cut up chicken at the store. Plus, I’m a dark meat girl while my sweetie prefers the breast meat. I also like to get organic, pasture-raised chickens from a local source, and they are sold as whole chickens. Organic chickens allowed to graze in their natural environment make for a much healthier and delicious choice. Finding a local farmer who practices organic and humane ways of raising poultry will help you to avoid harmful antibiotics, GMO feeds, or cruel slaughtering practices.
The first thing to learn in this recipe is how to cut a whole chicken in half. By cutting the chicken in half, it will make it easier to marinade and will speed up the cooking process. It is also easier to handle that trying to manage the entire chicken on the BBQ. See this easy 1 minute tutorial on halving a whole chicken. My favorite part is when she tells you to save the backbone for broth. YES!!!
Now on to the recipe. Your family is going to love this zesty, flavorful chicken…..
To Make Cilantro Lime Chicken:
Once you have your chicken cut in half, make your marinade, and place marinaded chicken in fridge for at least 6-8 hours. I just do this the night before and am ready to go the next day when it’s time to cook. The longer it marinades, the better it will be.
To BBQ the chicken, it takes me a little over 1 1/2 hours. I flip the chicken a few times to ensure that it’s cooked properly and to prevent burning or charring.
Cilantro Lime Chicken
- 1 whole chicken, cut in half
- After cutting chicken in half. Make the marinade.
- To make marinade: Place all ingredients in a blender and process until well combined like salad dressing
- Place halved chicken in a large glass baking dish and pour marinade on top. Turn chicken over a few times to make sure completely coated.
- Cover with lid or parchment paper and place in fridge for at least 6-8 hours.
To BBQ chicken:
- Preheat BBQ on medium/high heat
- Once hot, place chicken halves onto grill skin side down (do not discard leftover marinade in bottom of pan. We will use it in a minute)
- Turn grill down to medium heat and allow to cook for 10 minutes with grill open
- Flip chicken over, pour leftover marinade over the skin side, close grill, and turn heat down to low (I set mine to almost the lowest setting but not quite.) Let cook for 30 minutes.
- Flip chicken again, close lid, and allow to cook for another 30 minutes (be sure grill is still pretty low.)
- Flip chicken halves on last time, close grill, and allow to cook for another 20-30 minutes until completely cooked. (if not sure, use meat thermometer to make sure it is at least 165’F)
- Transfer to serving plate, and ENJOY!!!
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.