Before all of the blueberries disappear, I had to get one more summer dessert in. Take a look at this beautiful Paleo Blueberry Lemon Bread.
I’m a creature of habit, and the small rituals of life make me happy. Every Sunday morning I wake up, eat breakfast, and head to my local Framer’s Market. The first place we go is the gluten free bakery booth for Pao de Queijo (or Brazilian cheese bread.) My little one gets one plain and one olive. She eats the plain one right away. If you haven’t tried these chewy little breads made with tapioca flour, you are seriously missing out. (Hmmm, I feel a new recipe post coming on!)
After cheese bread, I hit up my favorite farmers for their organic and seasonal vegetables, planning my week’s meals as I go. There’s something about having connection to the folks who grow the food that we nourish ourselves with. As always, I give thanks for the ability to have access to fresh, local, organic produce all year round.
OK, so now let’s talk about this blueberry lemon bread. Did I mention that it is completely grain free?
On our rounds at the Farmer’s Market, we usually run into our local organic blueberry farmers. I can never resist buying a huge basket of luscious blueberries to eat while we shop. Knowing that this was probably the last week that we would see them at the market for this season, I stocked up. And this is what I made:
This loaf came out amazingly moist and delicious. It’s loaded with protein-rich almond flour, nutrient-dense eggs, and oh-so-good-for-you coconut oil. Without the lemony sweet glaze, you could eat this for breakfast. But please… don’t skip the glaze. It’s the best part.
Hope you enjoy!
- 1 and 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (I like THIS brand)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted (I use THIS brand)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder OR tapioca flour (Like THIS or THIS)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, butter, or ghee, melted
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- zest from 2 lemons
- 1 and 1/2 cups fresh blueberries
FOR THE GLAZE:
- Preheat oven to 350′ F. Grease a loaf pan (9×5) and cut a piece of parchment paper to line the bottom of pan.
- Combine almond flour, coconut flour, tapioca/arrowroot, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs, coconut oil, honey/maple syrup, lemon juice, and lemon zest until well combined.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until well incorporated.
- Spread one third of the batter onto bottom of prepared pan. Sprinkle 1/3 of the blueberries on top. Spread another third of the batter and another third of the blueberries. Repeat one more time with the remaining batter and berries.
- Bake 32-37 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean. Cover with foil if top begins to brown too much. Remove from oven and allow to cool.
- While loaf cools, prepare the glaze by whisking together all of the glaze ingredients. Add hot water 1 tablespoon at a time until you have a glossy, liquidy, smooth consistency. Once loaf has cooled, pour glaze over top of loaf, letting it drips down the sides.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.