Yes, another donut recipe. I’m having too much fun making “healthier” treats with my new donut pan. Today’s recipe is Carrot Cake Donuts, completely gluten and grain free.
I’m really excited to share this recipe with you all. I can’t tell you how amazing these little creations are. These grain free donuts are a spin off of my very favorite muffin recipe EVER. You may have seen my recipe for Carrot Ginger Coconut Muffins. These are very similar except that I made them into a fun donut shape and added a delicious lemon glaze. I’m sort of obsessed with my new donut pan. I actually get excited when I pop the donuts out of the pan and they are perfectly shaped like a real donut. Yes, I’m a dork. I admit it. But dang, my desserts have been making me happy lately.
Ok, I’m not really advocating that you eat tons of donuts here. I do eat a balance diet with tons of healthy meats, fats, and veggies. But you have to admit that it’s fun to have a treat once in a while. I make my desserts with all REAL food ingredients so I can feel good about my kids eating them in moderation.
It is, however, a fact of life in the Savory Lotus kitchen that there is always an influx of tasty eats due to my obsessive experimentation. I’m the first the admit that I love PINTEREST. I follow several blogs daily for food inspiration. It makes me happy. It fills my cup. I could spend all day in the kitchen wearing my favorite yellow apron baking and eating. Could be worse!
But let’s get back to the donuts, shall we. They are wickedly good. They are loaded with healthy fats and protein rich almonds. The ginger adds just the right amount of kick. And the shredded coconut makes the texture just right. Enjoy!
- 3/4 cup blanched almond flour (like this)
- 2 TBS coconut flour (like this)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt (I use this one)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- pinch of clove
- 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut (like this)
- 2 eggs
- 6 TBS coconut oil (like this), melted
- 4 TBS REAL maple syrup OR raw honey
- 1/2 cup grated carrot, packed
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in water for 10 minutes and roughly chopped
- 1 TBS grated fresh ginger
FOR LEMON GLAZE:
- Preheat oven to 350’F and grease your donut pan (like this) with a titch of coconut oil.
- Combine dry ingredients (almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, clove and shredded coconut) in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut oil and sweetener of choice. Fold in grated carrots, raisins, and fresh ginger.
- Add wet to dry and mix until well incorporated. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes to let the coconut flour absorb.
- Place the batter in a piping bag (like this) or a large ziploc bag with the end cut off the end so there’s about a 1/2-inch opening.
- Fill each cavity in donut pan 3/4 full. Give the pan a little shake or two to let the batter settle.
- Bake for 18 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean and edges are just beginning to brown.
- Remove from oven. Let cool for 5 minutes then tip over onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before adding glaze.
To make glaze:
- Place all glaze ingredients into high speed blender. Process until smooth and creamy. Add water a tiny bit at a time if it’s too thick to pour. Pour into shallow bowl. Dip each donut into glaze with a twisting motion to let extra run back into bowl OR just drizzle over the donuts in any fashion that you desire. Place back onto cooling rack.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
I’d love to hear if you try these. Leave me a comment below!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.