This warm Wilted Kale Salad is my ode to winter time vegetables. It brings color to the wet, grey, and dark days of winter. And it satisfies my need for greens at a time when I don’t crave raw foods.
Kale is a nutritional powerhouse. That’s why I try to eat is as often as I can. I’m not a big fan of raw kale, but this warm kale salad is the perfect winter time side dish.
My kids know that I serve green veggies EVERY day. Often several time a day. Because kale is so nutrient-dense, it shows up on our dinner plates often. Kale is loaded with calcium, iron, vitamins A, C, and K. It’s also loaded with powerful antioxidants.
I added some beautiful roasted seasonal vegetables to my beloved kale for a hearty, warming salad. You’ll notice a hint of spices on the squash, adding to the warmth. A light citrus dressing gives a refreshing burst of flavor. And pomegranates just make it beautiful.
My inspiration for this salad was the colors. The constant rain here in Northern California has made for gloomy, grey days that call for curling up and being cozy. I give thanks for the water to quench the parched earth in this part of the world. The scarcity of water over the past couple of years has made me conscious of how much we need these rainy days, even though my soul craves the warm sun.
I am also reminded how important this dormant rest is for me as well. The seasons teach me so much. While I love to play and be out in summer, the quiet, darker days of fall and winter are essential for healing and grounding. As my garden looses it’s colors and goes to sleep, I, too, must learn to turn inward for my winter’s rest. As the rain falls outside of my window today, I am surrendering to the sleepy stillness, remembering to nourish myself deeply.
The word nourish comes to me often when I create my food in the kitchen because that is my goal. While I strive to make beautiful foods to share, the ultimate intention is to keep nourishing my body so I can heal and thrive.
I do hope you enjoy this nourishing salad. It was made with love.
Wilted Kale Salad with Golden Beets and Winter Squash
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4
- 4-5 golden beets, quartered or cubed
- 1 delicata squash, deseeded and sliced into thin crescents
- 3 tbsp of butter, coconut oil, or ghee (like this), divided
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp chili powder (I like this one)
- 1 bunch kale, stems and center rib cut off and leaves sliced into thin ribbons (I used curly kale)
- 1 small pomegranate
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400’F.
- Toss beets together with 1 tablespoon of fat of choice and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread beets out in an even layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 30-35 minutes, until tender and beginning to brown.
- In a large bowl, toss together squash slices, 1 tablespoon of fat of choice, cinnamon, chili powder, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Arrange in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- After beets have been in the oven for 15 minutes, place baking sheet with squash into oven as well. Roast for 20 minutes, giving both beets and squash a turn with a spatula one time during baking.
- When veggies are done in oven, heat remaining tablespoon of fat of choice in a large skillet on mediumhigh heat. Add kale ribbons and 1 tablespoon of water. Sautee for 3-4 minutes until kale is softened and bright green.
- Prepare dressing by placing all ingredients into blender and processing until smooth. I like to use my hand immersion blender and a small glass jar.
- Drizzle desired amount of dressing onto kale and toss. Divide dressed kale onto 4 small plates. Top with roasted golden beets and squash. Garnish with pomegranate seeds. Serve warm. Enjoy!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.