It’s winter time, and our immune systems could all use a little support.. Today I am sharing with you one of my family’s way to support a healthy immune system and to stay healthy through it all: Wellness Foot Rub to Support Your Immune System.
If you have been following me for a while, you know that I am a REAL food advocate. Eating a nutrient-dense diet full of healthy fats, seasonal and organic vegetables, and properly-sourced meats and dairy is your best ally in building a strong immune system. Ditch the processed foods, cut back on the sugar and just eat real food!
I also like to keep lots of natural remedies on hand to keep my family healthy throughout the winter season. Some of my go-tos are Fire Cider, Elderberry Syrup. Extra Virgin Cod Liver Oil, Vitamin D, Thieves essential oil, and this Wellness Foot Rub.
What’s nice about this foot rub is that it is safe for children (over 2 years old) as well as adults. Please always do a test dose on a small area. Some essential oils are very potent and can be irritating to sensitive skin.
The bottoms of your feet are ideal for placing this foot rub. The skin is tougher on your feet and there are over 2000 pores on the bottom of each foot, making it an ideal place for good absorption. This recipe is formulated at about a 1% dilution rate which is safe for even small little feet. If any irritation occurs, simply dilute your recipe with more coconut oil.
What’s in the Wellness Foot Rub
Coconut oil is a wonderful carrier oil for essential oils. It is known to contain immune boosting properties and feels wonderful on the skin.
Lemon Essential Oil:
Lemon is known for it’s cleansing and immune-supporting properties. It is also a tonic for supporting the nervous and sympathetic nervous system.
Frankincense Essential Oil:
Frankincense is considered the “holy anointing oil” in the Middle East, and has been used for thousands of year for it’s many healing properties. It has long been revered as a powerful essential oil to support a healthy immune system.
Cinnamon Essential Oil:
The warm, spicy aroma of cinnamon has been sought throughout the ages both as a valuable commodity and for its ability to improve wellness. Cinnamon is thought to support the cardiovascular and immune system.
Clove Essential Oil:
Clove has a sweet, spicy fragrance that is stimulating and revitalizing. It is an important ingredient in Thieves blend due to its wonderful immune-supporting properties. Clove is the highest-scoring single ingredient ever tested for its antioxidant capacity on the ORAC scale.
Melaleuca Essential Oil:
Melaleuca alternifolia (or Tea Tree) is highly regarded for its wide range of uses. It is a powerful immune system supporter and supports the body’s natural defenses.
Oregano Essential Oil:
Oregano is one of the most powerful and versatile essential oils. It contains strong immune-supporting properties and supports the respiratory system.
A word about quality
Please note that I am only talking about 100% pure therapeutic grade essential oils. Only about 2% of essential oils sold are considered therapeutic grade. There is no standard for EOs and so many of the oils you find may be adulterated or synthetically manipulated and can actually contain harmful ingredients. Always, always do your own research before using any essential oils- just like you would with any health supplement that you use.
My essential oil of choice is Young Living Essential Oils. They own their farms and they run a very tight supply chain. I trust their essential oils above all others because they are pure and unadulterated and are manufactured for therapeutic use not just for smell.
I am a wholesale member, meaning that I save 24% on all of my essential oils. Read more here about why I choose Young Living.
Curious about essential oils but don’t know where to start? Sign up for my FREE 10 Day Essential Oil Basics E-Course and get a FREE 100 Uses for Essential Oils eBook. Sign up HERE.
How to use the foot rub
- Rub onto bottoms of feet to support your immune system. We do this several times per week, especially if we are going to be in crowded public places.
- Rub onto bottoms of feet several times a day to support your immune system if you are feeling sick or have been exposed to someone who is sick.
- I sometime rub this onto my throat as well if I feel like my respiratory system needs a bit of support. Be sure to test on a small area first as some of the oils are very potent and can irritate the tender skin around the neck. If it feels too strong, you can dilute it with more coconut oil.
Wellness Foot Rub
- Yield: 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, slightly softened
- 6 drops Lemon Essential Oil
- 3 drops Frankincense Essential Oil
- 1 drop Cinnamon Essential Oil
- 1 drop Clove Essential Oil
- 1 drop Melaleuca Essential Oil
- 1 drop Oregano Essential Oil
- Soften coconut oil slightly by placing into warm oven for 2-3 minutes. Be sure to not heat the oil too much as essential oils are damaged by heat.
- Remove from oven and scrape coconut oil into a small glass jar. Give it a stir to create a smooth consistency.
- Making sure the coconut oil is not too warm, add all of the essential oils. Stir again to fully incorporate. Use liberally on bottoms of feet to support your immune system.
Coconut oil is solid at room temperature up to 76’F. It will become liquid if allowed to warm.
Recommended for children 2 years and up.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
New to essential oils? Sign up for my FREE 10 Day Essential Oil Basic E-course delivered right to your inbox and get a FREE 101 Uses for Essential Oils e-Book. Sign up HERE.
Join my closed Savory Lotus Essential Oil Community on Facebook to learn about how I use my essential oils daily and to connect with other oily users. JOIN HERE.
Photo credit: depositphotos @ @ Deklofenak