I love to eat good food. And usually I love to cook. But sometimes I feel lazy. That’s where burgers come in. My sweetie isn’t much of a cook, but he will cook up some burgers. This recipe came from looking around and seeing what we had. Ground turkey. Baby spinach. Avocado. Onion. Perfect!!
We don’t eat our turkey burgers with a bun. I usually serve them on a bit of lettuce with lots of condiments and extras on top. We love ketchup (need to make my own!!!), homemade pickles, sauerkraut and avocado. I’ve been making caramelized onions lately to spice things up. I used Herbamare seasoning in these for a bit of extra flavor.
To make caramelized onions, all you need is one large onion (sliced into thin rounds) and 2 tablespoons of ghee, butter, or coconut oil. Melt the ghee, butter, or coconut oil on medium heat. Add onion rounds and saute slowly until golden brown. Push the onions around a bit to make sure they cook evenly. You can add a tablespoon of water or wine if they begin to stick to pan. Mine usually take about 25 minutes.
These turkey burgers are super easy to make. And served with steamed greens or your favorite vegetable, they make a satisfying, quick dinner. They are great left over, as well. You can always make extra and freeze for later.
- 1 LB organic ground turkey (dark meat)
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach, washed and chopped
- 1/2 tsp Herbamare seasoning
- 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt (I use THIS one)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- PLUS 1 TBS ghee or butter for cooking
OPTIONAL (for toppings):
- homemade pickles
- caramelized onions
- In large bowl, combine all burger ingredients and mix well
- Form into 5 patties
- Melt ghee or butter in a skillet on medium heat.
- Cook patties until nice and brown, flipping a couple of times. Usually takes about 15 minutes.
- Serve over a bed of lettuce and top with caramelized onions and avocado (and whatever else you like on your burgers)
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.