Not every cake has to be an extravagant ordeal. Sometime uncomplicated is better. I’m on a mission to create a Simple Coconut Flour Cake that is not dense or too eggy. Is it possible with coconut flour? Yes, it is!
If you have ever baked with coconut flour, you know that it is not like other flours. It is EXTREMELY absorbent and requires a totally different ratio of fats, eggs, and liquids than regular flour. Don’t even try to substitute coconut flour in your favorite cake recipe 1:1. What you will end up with is a dry, dense mess. Believe you me!
But all is not lost. With a bit of creativity and experimentation, it is possible to make a simple white cake that is fluffy and light. Now I’m not talking angel food cake light here. It IS coconut flour after all. But this cake is the closest thing that I have had to regular white cake using my favorite grain and nut free flour.
Coconut flour, in my opinion, is the healthiest of all baking flours. Grains such as wheat, barley, and spelt all contain gluten which can be very difficult to digest and cause digestive issues for many folks. Many gluten free flours are extremely processed and often contain corn, oats, and rice. The problem is that these grains can all have potentially damaging inflammatory effects on the body. I do love the way almond flour tastes, but eating too many nuts can
What I love about coconut flour:
Because coconut flour is not a grain-based flour, it is non-inflammatory. It does not enzyme inhibitors like many nut and seed flours, which can wreak havoc on digestion. It is also full of healthy fats from coconut oil, which are primarily medium-chain saturated fatty acids (MCTs). MCTs have been shown to improve metabolism. The body uses them quickly for energy rather than storing them in fat tissue. It also is very low in Omega-6 oils. Read more HERE about how Omega 6 oils are making us sick.)
Where can I find coconut flour?
Coconut flour is sold in most health food stores. It can be found in some larger grocery stores in the specialty area. I have heard that ethnic stores like Indian stores also carry coconut flour. I buy my coconut flour online HERE
Now onto that recipe:
Like I said, this cake is a simple and basic white (well, actually yellow) cake recipe. It’s mildly sweet and will go well with any amazing frosting or whipped cream/coconut cream that you like. It makes a perfect cake for any birthday celebration or for strawberry shortcake. The trick to making it fluffy and light is to fold in some egg whites just before baking. I learned that from GOOGLE. Seriously, I did. GOOGLE pointed me to this post on whipping and folding egg whites.
See the end of this post for frosting ideas for this lovely cake.
- 1/2 cup coconut flour (I use this brand)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt (like this)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup of ghee (like this) or coconut oil (like this), melted
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA and additive free coconut milk)
- 1/3 cup real maple syrup or honey
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 egg whites
- ghee or coconut oil for oiling pan
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Oil a 9″ round cake pan and line bottom of pan with unbleached parchment paper (like this) cut into circle to fit the bottom.
- In a large bowl, sift together coconut flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together 3 eggs, fat of choice, coconut milk, maple syrup/honey, and vanilla until foamy.
- Add wet to dry and mix well to combine.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites with a hand mixer until thick soft peaks form. Fold very gently into cake batter. Pour into prepared cake pan.
- Bake for 25-28 minutes, until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean and cake is golden.
- There is fine art to whipping and folding egg whites. It is helpful if you use a VERY clean bowl, make sure that no egg yolk gets into the whites, and use room temperature eggs.
- There have been a few questions about how I measure my coconut oil. I melt my coconut oil first then measure out the proper amount. I find it to be a more accurate way to do it.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
Need Some Frosting Ideas?
- Dairy Free Whipped Cream from Coconut Mama
- Chocolate Frosting from Rubies and Radishes
- Best Paleo Frosting Ever from Real Food RN
- Sweet Potato Frosting from Whole New Mom
- Chocolate Fudge Frosting from GI 365 (with avocados!!)
- Coffee Chocolate Frosting from Civilized Caveman
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.