Happy Summer, y’all! And Happy Birthday to my sweet Little One! I love summer birthdays because there is so much amazing fruit to bake with. Stopping by to share the delicious Rustic Blueberry Peach Cake I made last week to celebrate my youngest turing 5.
Birthday are a big deal in our household. Everyone should have a day dedicated to celebrating the day they were born and the amazing person that they are. That’s why on your birthday at my house, you get the royal treatment. Whatever you want to breakfast. Whatever you want to for dinner. Lots of love and appreciations in between. And of course, I make whatever you want for your special birthday dessert. Can you tell that I like to show my love with food? (Is that a bad thing?)
This little blueberry peach cake is the epitome of summer baking. Fresh blueberries and juicy peaches nested on top of a super moist cake. This girl has no time for dry cake. I prefer moist and spongy when it comes to my cakes. This is achieved with just the right combo of coconut oil, coconut milk and nutrient dense eggs.
The recipe is quite simple. All real food ingredients. Gluten and grain free almond flour. Be sure to use a finely ground flour to get a nice fluffy cake. I used coconut sugar to give the cake a rich, almost caramel-like taste. And lots of fresh summer blueberries and peaches. Super healthy and super delicious.
It was fun to create this rustic little blueberry peach cake for my Little One’s 5th birthday. The inspiration came from the abundance of summer blueberries and peaches that we have been devouring. Our little peach tree gave us a small but delicious harvest this year. And we have the most amazing organic blueberry farm just a few miles from our house. Childhood memories are made from walking through the yard picking ripe fruit from the trees with peach juice dripping from our chin.
Happy birthday, sweet one. You are the truly the sweetest and kindest little human I have every met. And you fill our life with so much love and light. Can you tell she enjoyed her cake?
Have a sweet summer. And enjoy that summer bounty!
Rustic Blueberry Peach Cake (gluten free)
- Yield: 1 9inch cake
- 2 cups almond flour (I use THIS finely ground brand)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp unrefined salt
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, room temperature (like this)
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tbsp coconut sugar (like this)
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA-free coconut milk)
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, divided
- 1 and 1/2 peaches, thinly sliced
- 2 tsp coconut sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Line a 9 inch cake pan with parchment paper, allowing the sides of the paper to come up the sides of the pan.
- Whisk together almond flour, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, using a hand mixer, beat the coconut oil until softened (about 30 seconds.) Add the coconut sugar and continue to beat until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Add eggs and vanilla extract and continue to beat until eggs are well incorporated.
- Turn hand mixer on low and add flour mixture and coconut milk. Mix gently until just combined.
- Spoon mixture into prepared cake pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle 1/2 cup of the blueberries over the top. Arrange peach slices in a circle over the top of the batter and berries. And scatter the remaining 1/2 cup of blueberries on top. Sprinkle top with extra coconut sugar, if desired.
- Bake for 35-42 minutes, until center is cooked and cake is golden. I suggest checking earlier as almond flour has a tendency to burn quickly.
- Remove from oven, lift cake out of pan with sides of parchment paper, and allow to cool. Serve and enjoy!