Celebrating my European roots today by sharing a summer version of one of our family’s favorite Sunday brunch dishes: the dutch baby. This puffy, decadent little pancake is the prefect weekend morning breakfast that you will want to make again and again. Family meals are important to me. With our super busy lives, it makes my day when we can all find time to slow down, sit down, and chow down together. I purposely have a really big kitchen table so there is always room to sit and eat.
And making family-style dishes that we can dig into together makes me happy. I grew up eating giant Finnish pancakes baked in the oven. Now that I have a family of my own. I still carry on the tradition of family-style pancakes on the weekends. I shared a recipe for my gluten and grain free Pumpkin Spice Dutch Baby a couple of years ago but thought it was time to bring out another version. This time with summer berries.
If you don’t know what a dutch baby is, it’s basically a big “pancake” baked in a hot skillet that gets puffed and crispy around the edges. The secret to the perfect dutch baby is a very hot skillet. My 9 inch cast iron skillet is perfect for this.
Being a Finnish girl at heart, summer berries are my thing. If you didn’t know, berries grown in Finland are seriously the best in the world. Blueberries and raspberries always brings me back to being a young girl in Finland picking berries in my grandmother’s garden. Our favorite dessert growing up was a big bowl of freshly picked blueberries swimming in milk with a bit of sugar sprinkled on top.
Today’s recipe is my gluten and grain free version of a traditional dutch baby filled with fresh summer raspberries and blueberries and a hint of lemon. You can easily whip up this puffy, golden pancake in less than 30 minutes. It’s the perfect way to rally the family to the kitchen table for a bit of quality time together.
I like to serve my dutch baby with more fresh berries and a drizzle of maple syrup. My mama is more old school and prefers a sprinkle of sugar on top. Coconut sugar can easily be used for dusting your dutch baby. Either way, it’s going to be amazing.
Hope you enjoy!
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA free coconut milk)
- 3/4 cup almond flour (I use THIS brand)
- 2 tbsp tapioca flour (like this)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest from half of a lemon
- 1/4 tsp unrefined salt
- 1 and 3/4 cups mixed blueberries and raspberries
- 3 tbsp butter, coconut oil, or ghee for greasing pan
- more fresh berries
- maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 450’F. Place medium-sized cast iron skillet to heat up for 10 minutes. (The secret to a good dutch baby is a hot pan.)
- Combine eggs, coconut milk, almond flour, tapioca flour, vanilla extract. lemon zest, and salt in a blender and process until smooth.
- Very carefully remove HOT skillet from oven. Drop in 3 tablespoons of butter (or ghee or coconut oil) and allow to melt, swirling to evenly coat pan. Then slowly pour batter into pan.
- Scatter berries over batter and carefully place pan into oven. Bake for 16-18, until puffy, golden, and set in center.
- Remove from oven and serve immediately. Top with fresh berries and maple syrup. Or anything else that makes you happy.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.