Hello, Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts…. because it’s been a while.
Is there anything better than a homemade donut?
These super cute Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts are so simple to whip up. All you need is a few basic ingredients, a mixing bowl, a whisk, and a donut pan. If you don’t own one, I highly recommend that you get yourself one RIGHT NOW.
Because in less than 20 minutes, you can have yourself a freshly baked donut in hand and a big huge smile on your face.
I can’t remember the last time that I baked some donuts. But since I’ve been on a big lemon kick this month (check out my Coconut Flour Lemon Cake and my Meyer Lemon Pudding), I decided to turn one of my fav muffin flavors into a fun donut.
I’m super excited by how they turned out. Light and fluffy (and much healthier than regular fried donuts.) They just melt in your mouth. And the bright lemon flavor adds a bit of sunshine to your day.
As you can see, I’ve dipped them in a sweet lemony glaze that takes these little donuts to the next level of deliciousness. The glaze is totally optional. It’s a simple mix of coconut butter, coconut oil, lemon juice, and honey or maple syrup.
And as always, they are gluten and grain free. I do hope you get to try them.
P.S. THIS is the donut pan that I use. It works great as long as I liberally grease the pan before baking. My only regret is not getting the 2-pack set as I’m usually wanting to double the recipe so there’s enough donuts for EVERYONE!
Lemon Poppy Seed Donuts
- 1 and 1/4 cup blanched almond flour (I use THIS brand)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour (I use THIS brand)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 and 1/2 tsp poppy seeds (like this)
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup honey or maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, ghee, or coconut oil – melted
- 2 tbsp milk of any kind
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- zest from one lemon
- butter, ghee, or coconut oil to grease pan
FOR THE LEMON GLAZE
- 1/3 cup coconut butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1-2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- hot water
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Liberally grease a 6-cavity donut pan and set aside.
- Whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, salt, baking soda, and poppy seeds in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, honey/maple syrup, fat of choice, milk, vanilla, lemon juice, and zest. Add flour mixture and mix gently to combine.
- Fill each cavity in donut pan 3/4 full (I like to use my reusable piping bag but you can use a zip-lock bag with the corner cut out as well.) Tap the pan on the counter several times to allow the batter to settle.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until donuts are golden.
- Remove from oven. Let cool for 10 minutes then gently tip over onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before adding glaze.
- When donuts are cool, prepare glaze by melting coconut butter and coconut oil in a small double boiler (I place a small glass bowl over a small pot). Whisk in 1 tablespoon of sweetener and lemon juice. Taste and add more sweetener if necessary. Don’t worry if it gets clumpy. Remove from heat and whisk in hot water 1 teaspoon at a time until glaze is smooth and glossy. Keep whisking. It will get there.
- Dip each donut into glaze. Place on parchment paper until glaze is set.
- Serve and enjoy. Best served fresh, but you can store in fridge for up to 3 days.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.