Now I know that it’s wrong to covet other peoples’ things, especially if that person is one of your best friends. But when I borrowed my dear friend’s amazing and beautiful waffle maker, I had serious kitchen gadget envy. So while I still have it in my possession, there may be a rash of waffle recipes coming your way. Today’s recipe: Grain Free Banana Waffles.
I’ve had a few waffle makers over the years. They have all been bought second hand at either a garage sale or the local thrift store. I’m a bargain shopper and love a good deal. But I have to admit, I have never been super stoked on how my waffles have turned out. We are pancake folks around here. Until now…
For Mother’s Day, my sweet love asked me what I wanted for Mother’s Day brunch. Waffles and mimosas. That’s what I wanted. And bacon, of course! I had seen my friend’s shiny waffle maker at her house not long ago and decided to ask her if we could borrow it. I’m so glad that we did.
Like I said, waffles have never been super successful over here. They always stick to the dang waffler maker. Super frustrating! But all of that has changed. I am seriously in love with my friend’s waffle maker. I’ve been secretly coveting it and wishing it was mine. It’s shiny. It’s beautiful. And it makes perfect waffles. I want one!
So, while I still have it here in my kitchen, let me share one of favorite grain free waffle recipes with you. It’s simple. It’s delicious. And it’s nutrient-dense. They are perfectly crisp, lightly sweet, and taste just like a waffle should. Eat a couple of these and you are fueled up for hours. Smother them with ghee and fresh berries, and you are one happy camper!
Hope you love it!
P.S. If you are wondering which waffle maker I have hijacked from my dear friend, Chelsey, THIS is the one. (Oh, and my birthday is in November, if anyone was curious!)
Banana Waffles (gluten and grain free)
- Yield: 3 regular waffles
- 6 TBS coconut flour (like this)
- 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt (like this)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA and additive free coconut milk)
- 2 TBS ghee (like this) or coconut oil (like this), melted
- 1 banana, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ghee or coconut oil for brushing on waffle maker
- Sift together coconut flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl. Set aside
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the 4 eggs with a hand blender until nice and foamy ~ about 20 seconds.
- Add the coconut milk, fat of choice, mashed banana, and vanilla. Mix again until well incorporated.
- Add the dry to the wet and continue to mix until you have a nice, thick batter. (This will be thicker than pancake mix but should not be crumbly in any way. Coconut flour takes some time to get used to so if it seems excessively dry, add a titch of coconut milk.)
- Allow the batter to sit for a couple of minutes while you heat up your waffle maker.
- Lightly brush some ghee or coconut oil onto waffle maker. Spoon mix onto hot waffle iron. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
LOVE WAFFLES? MORE WAFFLE RECIPES:
- Paleo Banana Waffles
- Fluffy Coconut Flour Waffles
- Paleo Pumpkin Waffles
- Paleo Chocolate Waffles
- Coconut Flour Protein Waffles