This little gadget I am about to tell you about was a TOTAL impulse buy. Ever have one of those? I saw it on-line and just bought it. It looked so cool. It’s called a veggie spiral cutter. It is used to cut raw fruits and vegetables into spiral noodles. It showed up in less than a week, and promptly was shoved on top of the fridge where it has been for the past month and a half. Yesterday I got inspired to take it out of the box and….. WOW!!! This thing really does what it says it does. Vegetable Noodles: the possibilities are endless.
This is what I made the vegetable noodles with:
So I have to say that the instructions that came with my new veggie spiral cutter were minimal. I am a visual learner, and the small print with basic instructions just wasn’t enough for me. Thank goodness for GOOGLE. I was able to watch a simple You Tube video and learned quickly how to use this thing.
Here are some tips to get started:
- Be sure to pick the freshest produce that you can find. Limp, soft veggies will not work on this spiral cutter.
- Try to find veggies with a thick diameter. Thin veggies are difficult to cut.
- The straighter the better. Stay away from crook necked squash and oddly shaped veggies. This slicer likes them straight.
- Some veggies are best lightly steamed. I find that it improves the flavor and makes them more digestible. Too much RAW food can be hard on the digestion and the gut.
- Before you get started, be sure that the spiral cutter is securely attached to your counter top (with the suction cups on the bottom) as you will need a little bit of traction to spiral cut your foods. I was surprised how tightly the suction cups held on to my kitchen counter.
- And oh, yeah!!! Be creative. You can make veggie noodles with just about anything with this spiral cutter.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
What I’ve made so far:
Zucchinis: These noodles turned out great. I wasn’t crazy about the raw zucchini flavor so I place them in a colander in the sink and poured boiling water over them. I rinsed them with cold water and drained them well. I tossed them with a simple sesame ginger sauce (recipe below.) They were reminiscent of a seaweed salad I get at the sushi place we go to. Worked great!!!
Yellow Summer Squash: Very similar to zucchinis. I poured boiling water over these too to soften them a bit. You could also lightly steam them for 1-2 minutes.
Cucumbers: These were fun. I love cucumber salad from the sushi place and the homemade sesame ginger dressing I made was fabulous with these. I added strawberries for a little fun.
Carrots: Carrot noodles are a great side dish to any meal. You can eat them alone or with some simple sauce. Or add them to a salad for a creative look. I sprinkled on some apple cider vinegar, celtic sea salt, and chopped cilantro. Really nice!!
Yams: I love yams. And I loved these yam noodles. They were delicious with a ginger almond butter sauce (recipe below). Add a little chicken and green veggie, and you have a yummy, satisfying meal. I steamed the yam noodles for 3 minutes and then rinsed them in cold water. You could also blanch them briefly to soften. YUM!!
Other things to try:
- Raw apple noodles
- Jicama noodles
- Winter squash noodles (I would recommend lightly steaming)
- Raw pear noodles
The possibilities are endless…
I have found that vegetable noodles need just a titch of flavor. Toss with a simple sauce and you are ready to go. Here are a couple little sauces that I made:
Simple Sesame Ginger Sauce:
- 1 TBS apple cider vinegar (like this)
- 2 TBS coconut aminos (a soy sauce alternative) (like this)
- 2 TBS toasted sesame oil (like this)
- 1/4 -1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- sesame seeds, raw – for garnish (like this)
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl (except sesame seeds) and mix until well incorporated. Garnish with sesame seeds.
Ginger Almond Butter Sauce:
- 1 TBS almond butter
- 3 TBS hot homemade broth (or water)
- 1 TBS coconut aminos (like this)
- 1 TBS fresh lime juice
- 1/2 tsp fresh grated ginger
- pinch of celtic sea salt (like this)
- pinch of cayenne, optional (like this)
- Combine all ingredients in small bowl and mix until well incorporated.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.