Channeling my Nordic roots with this smoked trout salad drizzled with a a creamy lemony dill dressing.
I grew up eating a lot of salted and smoked fish paired with potatoes and dill or with the best dark rye bread you’ve ever tasted. Very typical food in Scandinavian countries. This summer I’ve been bringing back smoked fish into my kitchen with this bold-tasting, easy to prepare salad.
Usually with salads, I’m all about the extra veggies. But the star of this salad is definitely the flaky, light, and salty trout. I’ve combined it with a creamy lemon dill dressing that really brings out the flavor of the fish which is nested on a bed of crispy butter lettuce and slightly peppery arugula. Cool cucumbers and sweet peaches add a summer time vibe. And some soft boiled eggs because perfectly jammy eggs are amazing. And few vibrantly purple pickled red onions and extra fresh dill to finish it off.
Smoked trout can be found in most well- stocked grocery stores. I get mine from the local Whole Foods. It’s a great protein staple to have around. You can eat it straight out of the package, and is a fun addition to any veggie, meat, cheese snack tray situation.
I could seriously eat this salad EVERY DAY. Seriously! I find myself ordering the smoked trout salad at 2 of my fav restaurants here in Sonoma County, CA. So why not just make it at home? It’s a great way to eat light during the warmer summer months. Happy eating!
CREAMY LEMON DILL DRESSING
- 1/2 cup yogurt (I used a dairy free coconut yogurt)
- 1/4 cup olive oil (THIS is my fav organic brand)
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 tbsp fresh dill, finely chopped
- pinch of salt
FOR THE SALAD
- 5–6 ounces butter leaf lettuce
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1 cup sliced cucumbers
- 1 peach, sliced
- pickled red onions (see recipe HERE)
- extra fresh dill
- 3 soft boiled eggs, halved (*see notes)
- 8 ounces of smoked trout, broken into small pieces
- TO MAKE DRESSING: whisk together all dressing ingredients until creamy smooth. Set aside.
- TO ASSEMBLE SALAD: arrange butter leaf lettuce and arugula on a large platter or salad bowl. Mix in cucumbers, and peach slices. Top with pickled onions, extra fresh dill, egg halves and large flakes of smoked trout. Drizzle with dressings.
- I make my soft boiled eggs in a steamer basket. Once water comes to a boil, place room temperature eggs into steamer basket and cover. Steam for 6 and 1/2 to 7 minutes, depending on how jammy soft you like your eggs. Immerse in cold ice water immediately to stop cooking.
- If serving this entire salad right away, you can also toss the greens, cucumber, and peaches in the dressing. Then top with onions, fresh dill, eggs, and trout.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.