Need more greens in your life? Here’s a quintessential winter salad that you will want to make again and again: Massaged Kale and Avocado Salad.
I’ve talked about massaging kale in the past. I highly recommend it. Raw kale can be difficult for our human bellies to break down. Massaging basically is a process of breaking down the kale to make it more easy to digest. I usually just massage my kale with a bit of olive oil, lemon juice, and sea salt. You will notice the kale begin to wilt slightly, becoming vibrant green and a bit softer. It lasts for almost a week in the fridge after being massaged.
Did you know that kale is a nutritional powerhouse? It is loaded with calcium, iron, vitamins A, C, and K, and 10% of the RDA of omega-3 fatty acids in every cup. But since many vitamins and nutrients in our fruits and vegetables are fat-soluble and cannot be absorbed by the body without adequate fat, it is important to consume them with a little bit of health fat.
This simple massaged kale salad take just minutes to throw together. And the healthy fats from the avocado and olive oil help your body absorb all the healthy nutrients in the kale. The creamy avocado dressing has just the right amount of lemony zest and the pumpkin seeds add a fun texture and crunch. What I love best is that the the kale does not get soggy like other salad greens would.
Hope you enjoy it!
A note about thyroid health:
Cruciferous veggies like kale, when eaten raw in very large quantities may impair thyroid function. You can however, cook or steam to inhibit the anti-thyroid compound found in kale that may interfere with thyroid hormone synthesis. If you suffer from thyroid dysfunction or hypothyroidism, it is recommended to limit the consumption of raw cruciferous veggies. Even if you don’t, be aware and don’t go too crazy eating raw kale in large quantities.
Love kale salad?
Be sure to check out my recipe for Kale Caesar Salad.Print
Massaged Kale and Avocado Salad
- Yield: 3-4 servings
- one bunch of kale (I prefer the Lacinato/Dino variety)
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil (like this)
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp sea salt (I use this brand)
- Remove hard stem from leaves of kale and place leaves on top of each other. Roll into a tight cigar-looking tube and slice in thin ribbons.
- Place kale ribbons into large bowl and add 1 tablespoon of olive oil, 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and salt. Massage the kale for about 2 minutes. It should start to turn a rich, greener color. Set aside.
- To make dressing: Combine avocado, olive oil, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper in a small bowl and mash until smooth and creamy. For an even creamier dressing, use a small food processor.
- Toss massaged kale with dressing. Garnish pumpkin seeds.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.