Dig into some healthy comfort food with these savory and satisfying Loaded Sweet Potatoes. Kind of like nachos but not.
OK… so I was going to call this recipe Loaded Sweet Potato Nachos because that’s what I was in the mood for. But seeing as the recipe doesn’t include chips or cheese, I didn’t want a ton of comments telling me that these were not really nachos (details! details!) But in my mind, I am eating nachos when I eat this dish.
I’m always looking for ways to recreate healthier versions of my favorite comfort foods. Nachos loaded with all the things is definitely at the top of my list. But seeing as I don’t feel hot when I eat corn or dairy, I’ve been depriving myself. Until now!
The recipe is simple. Bake your sweet potato rounds. Brown and season your meat. Add whatever toppings make you happy. And then stuff your face. Feel happy. End of story.
As you can see, I loaded my sweet potato rounds with spiced turkey meat, olives, radishes, mangoes, jalapeños, avocados, and cilantro. I LOVE the combination of sweet mangoes and spicy jalapeños. I also drizzled on a bit of coconut cream (the thick part that separates from full fat coconut milk) with a squeeze of lime and salt added. Holy yum! Better than sour cream.
But feel free to load up whatever you like. Tomatoes. green chilis. sauerkraut, chopped lettuce, cheese, real sour cream, etc. There are no rules except just pile it on.
These Loaded Sweet Potatoes are a great way to mix it up for dinner. Serve with a big green salad for an easy meal. They’re also a fun way to feed a crowd. Double the recipe and watch people go to town and devour.
So let’s just pretend that we are eating nachos, OK? OK! Enjoy!
- 4 small sweet potatoes
- 1 tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil, melted (where to get grass fed ghee)
- 1 tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 pound ground meat (turkey, chicken, beef, or bison)
- 1 tsp chili powder (like this)
- 1 tsp cumin powder (like this)
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder (like this)
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp water
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 4 small radishes, thinly sliced
- black olives, sliced
- 1 mango, peeled and chopped
- 2 small jalapeños, deseeded and sliced
- extra cilantro
- coconut cream, non-dairy plain coconut yogurt, plain yogurt, or sour cream (mixed with a tbsp of fresh lime juice and salt to taste)**** see note (where to buy BPA free coconut milk)
- lime wedges
- Preheat oven to 400″F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Pour melted fat of choice on sweet potato rounds and mix to evenly coat. Spread rounds single layer onto baking sheets. Bake 25-30 minutes, flipping once halfway through- until fork tender. Remove from oven.
- While sweet potatoes are baking, melt 1 tablespoon of fat of choice in a large skillet. Add onions and saute until translucent about- 4 minutes. Add ground meat and saute until browned. Add chili powder, cumin, cayenne, and salt PLUS 2 tablespoons of water. Mix and cook until water in evaporated, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat and add cilantro. Mix to combine.
- TO ASSEMBLY LOADED SWEET POTATOES: Simply spoon ground meat mixture over sweet potatoes and sprinkle on all other garnishes. Eat and enjoy!
*** I made this recipe with the top layer of a full fat coconut milk (the coconut cream.) You will need to leave the can in fridge overnight to separate the layers. You can also use non-dairy plain coconut yogurt. If dairy is your thing, you can also use plain yogurt or sour cream.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.