When I say loaded, I mean loaded. These breakfast muffins are jam packed with all the good things.
What do you so when you are stressed? I do two things: yoga and baking. Both are relaxing. And both make me happy.
Anyone else upset about the state of affairs in the world today? Most days I am pretty good at keeping a positive outlook on life, but some days are just hard. I oscillate between wanting to know what’s going on in the world and wanting to just cuddle up in my warm bed with a good book until it’s all over. Don’t get me wrong. I’m not apathetic in any way. I just get overwhelmed by all of the violence, pain, and hatred in the world. How do we stay open and loving in the face of it all?
I find myself having to give myself little positivity pep talks to keep me on the right track. I find myself clinging to what is good and right in the world, like my family and friends. I focus on doing my good work in the world of raising decent human beings and inspiring healthy, clean living. And I find myself in the kitchen baking away because that’s just what makes sense to me sometimes.
So here we are. Another muffin recipe created out of my need to relax and unwind. This one is a super loaded breakfast muffin full of nutrient-dense goodness to keep you fueled and full so you can go out in the world and do your good work.
Here’s the stars of this muffin show:
- pumpkin seeds
- sunflower seeds
- hemp seeds
- chia seeds
I actually wasn’t sure that I could pack all of those superfoods into one muffin. But I did it. When I took the muffin tin out of the oven, it was noticeably heavier than my usual muffin recipes. And according to my official taste-testers (my family), they are the bomb! They are moist, delicious, and full of flavor.
These are definitely muffins you can feel good about eating. All real food ingredients. No gluten or refined sugars. Loaded with protein, fiber, and a ridiculous amount of essential vitamins and minerals. And they freeze very well for easy an breakfast or snack later on.
So go ahead. Make yourself a batch. You may get what I mean about baking being a pretty zen experience.
Loaded Breakfast Muffins (gluten free and paleo)
- Yield: 12 large muffins
- 1 and 1/2 cups almond flour (I use THIS blanched brand)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder (like this)
- 2 tbsp coconut flour (I use THIS brand)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut shreds (like this)
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (I use THIS brand)
- 2 tbsp hemp seeds (I use THIS brand)
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1 cup apple, diced into 1/4 inch cubes (peeled and cored)
- 1/2 cup raisins, soaked in water for 5 minutes and drained
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, ghee, or coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar (I use THIS raw brand)
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Line a muffin tin with 12 muffin papers.
- Whisk together almond flour, arrowroot, coconut flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Stir in pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, coconut, chia seeds, and hemp seeds. Fold in grated carrots, chopped apples, and raisins.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, apple sauce, maple syrup, melted fat of choice, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Pour wet into dry and mix until well incorporated.
- Using a 1/4 cup scoop, divide batter among 12 muffin cups. They will be almost full. Bake for 25-27 minutes, until golden and done in center.
- Feel free to substitute cranberries, goji berries, chopped dried apricots, or any dried fruit you like for the raisins.
- You can easily sub out any nuts or seeds that you like in equal proportions for what I have listed. Some suggestions: walnuts, pecans, and sesame seeds.
- For better digestion, I always recommend using soaked/sprouted nuts and seeds. You can either buy them already soaked OR make your own. Simply soak in water with a bit of sea salt overnight. Drain and rinse. And dehydrate at 110’F until crispy.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.