Quick and easy breakfast cookies loaded with all the things. Great for an on-the-go breakfast or snack.
Cookies for breakfast? Why not?
So y’all all know that we are all about healthy clean eats around here. But who says cookies can’t be healthy? Especially when they’re jam-packed with nutritious ingredients.
I love to cook. But I REALLY love to bake. It’s my happy place. The idea for breakfast cookies came to me after making my Loaded Breakfast Muffins last week. I was sitting at my work desk enjoying a warm muffin with a cold glass of homemade cashew milk, staring at the endless emails I have to get to. My mind starts wandering and thinking about other things. What’s for dinner? Did I flip the laundry? Is that a hole in my sock? Anything to avoid having to deal with adulting right now.
I know! Let’s bake something. That’s always fun.
OK, so yes, I did create these cookies out of boredom and avoidance. It’s one of the pitfalls of working from home. Distraction! Anyone else feel me on that one?
So long story short, I already had a bunch of ingredients out on the counter from making my loaded muffins. Nuts, seeds, dried fruits, chia seeds. It all just came together naturally and easily. I wasn’t really intending to create a new recipe for the blog. But here we are: loaded breakfast cookies.
Loaded Breakfast Cookie Details
… crispy and chewy. Crispy on the outside and soft and chewy on the inside. Just how I like my cookies.
… healthy and nutritious. So many wholesome real food ingredients. Loaded with protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. And I mean LOADED!
… one bowl. Easy peasy. Just mix and go.
… make ahead. I love having quick and easy foods ready to go for busy days. These cookies last for a few days in an airtight container and can be frozen for later. After defrosting, we popped them in the toaster oven for a minute to crisp up. SO GOOD!
… cookie chameleon. These cookies are so versatile. You can pretty much add in or sub any ingredients that you like. I used dried cranberries. You can do raisins or goji berries if you like. I used pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, and pecans. Any mix of nuts and/or seeds will do. I like raw cacao nibs but mini chocolate chips would be amazing too. You get the point. I wouldn’t skip the chia seeds and flax meal as that’s what I use for binder instead of eggs. Or skip them and use an egg or two instead.
… a little something for everyone. These cookies are gluten free, paleo, AND vegan.
… yum yum yum! These little loaded cookies are so good. Healthy enough for breakfast. Delicious enough for dessert. They kind of remind me of oatmeal cookies, without the oatmeal. 🙂
So, I’m officially giving you permission to eat cookies for breakfast. Because life is too short not to.
Easy loaded breakfast cookies jam-packed with all the good things. Nutritious and delicious. Gluten free, paleo, and vegan.
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup butter, ghee, or coconut oil, melted
- 2 tbsp nut butter or sunflower seed butter
- 2 tbsp chia seeds (I use THIS brand)
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds (or flax meal)
- 1 cup almond flour (I use THIS blanched brand)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot powder (like this)
- 1 tsp baking powder (I like THIS corn free brand)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut shreds (like this)
- 3 tbsp cacao nibs (like this )
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup nuts and seeds of choice, chopped (I used sunflower seeds and pecans)
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, mix together applesauce, maple syrup, melted fat of choice, nut butter, chia seeds, and flax meal until well incorporated. Allow to sit for 5 minutes to let chia and flax to soften. Then add the rest of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Using a cookies scoop, scoop out small mounds onto prepared baking sheet. Flatten slightly with fingers as cookies do not flatten on their own. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until golden on the bottom.
- Allow to cool a bit before serving. Enjoy!
Keywords: breakfast cookies
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.