A nutritious, low carb Chicken and Cabbage Soup loaded with flavor. So easy to make. Stove top option included.
Soup season continues. And I’m back with a super simple Instant Pot soup recipe to share with you.
Y’all know I’m always trying to get more vegetables into my diet, especially low carb cruciferous vegetables. Soup is my favorite kitchen hack for doing so.
This delicious, Asian-inspired soup is a kitchen staple around here. Cabbage, cauliflower, and juicy chicken in a salty broth seasoned with lime, onion, ginger, and garlic.
It’s hearty and filling. It’s easy to make. It’s one of those recipes that you’ll want to make again and again.
Why cruciferous vegetables?
While I love almost all vegetables (except eggplant. sorry, eggplant), I have to say that cruciferous vegetables are by far my favorite. Cruciferous vegetables include things like cauliflower, cabbage, broccoli, kale, Bok Choy, Brussels sprouts, arugula, and radishes. These type of veggies tend to be high in vitamins A, C, and K as well as minerals like magnesium, potassium, calcium, iron, and selenium. Many are also high in folate (vitamin B-9), vitamin B-6, and vitamin B-2. They’re rich in fiber and antioxidants and have been shown to reduce inflammation. Need I say more?
How to Make Chicken and Cabbage Soup in the Instant Pot
Sear seasoned chicken thighs on SAUTE mode for 3 minutes on each side. Remove from IP.
Saute onion until translucent. Then add garlic and ginger, and cook for one minute, until fragrant.
Add broth and scrape bottom of pot to loosen up all the yummy bits of flavor.
Add chicken back into Instant Pot along with cabbage and cauliflower. Lock lid and cook on HIGH for 8 minutes. Then quick release.
Add coconut aminos (or GF tamari), toasted sesame oil, and lime juice for flavor. And salt and pepper, to taste.
Garnish with fresh herbs and serve.
Can I make it on the stove top?
Yes. No problem. Instead of using an IP for the recipe, simply use a large soup pot. Instead of cooking the soup on HIGH for 8 minutes, cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until chicken is tender and veggies are soft. So easy.
DID YOU MAKE THIS AND LOVE IT? I WANT TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. SHARE THE LOVE ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG @savorylotus AND USE THE HASHTAG #savorylotus FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED. FOLLOW SAVORY LOTUS ON PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK TO KEEP UP WITH LATEST CONTENT AND UPDATES.Print
A nutritious, low carb soup loaded with flavor. Cabbage, cauliflower, and juicy chicken in a salty broth seasoned with lime, onion, ginger, and garlic. So easy to make. Stove top option included.
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp cumin powder
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1 and 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 3 tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil – divided
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1–2 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- 6 cups good quality broth (vegetable, homemade bone broth or Kettle and Fire)
- 1/2 large cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos OR gluten free tamari (like THIS or THIS)
- 1–2 tsp toasted sesame oil (like this)
- juice from one lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh herbs for garnish (I used cilantro and scallions)
- In a small bowl, mix together salt, garlic powder, cumin, and paprika. Sprinkle mixture on both sides of chicken thighs.
- Turn IP onto SAUTE and melt fat of choice. Once insert is HOT, sear chicken thighs for 3 minutes on each side and then remove from pot.
- Add in remaining tablespoon of fat and saute until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add in garlic and ginger and saute another minute, until fragrant.
- Pour in broth, making sure to scrape the bottom of pan with wooden spoon to loosen all the tasty bits. Add in cabbage, cauliflower, and chicken thighs. Lock lid on IP and turn the vent valve to “sealing.” Cook on HIGH pressure for 8 minutes then quick release the pressure.
- Add coconut aminos/tamari, sesame oil, lime juice, and salt and pepper to taste. Taste and adjust for flavors. At this point, you can remove chicken thighs and shred with 2 forks or leave in bigger pieces.
- Garnish with fresh herbs before serving.
FOR STOVE TOP METHOD: Follow the exact steps above except use a heavy bottom large soup pot and simmer, covered on low-medium for about 20-25 minutes.
Check out these easy soup recipes.
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.