I’m a big fan of bacon. I am. It’s so good. My kids love it too. But sometimes I want something a little different. And since we don’t like MSG, or NITRITES, or any of that other stuff that you may find in store-bought meat products, I like to make as much of our food at home as possible. Did you know that homemade breakfast sausages are easy to make? Well, now you do. Introducing: Homemade Apple Maple Breakfast Sausage Patties.
When I decided to make my own breakfast sausage, I scoured the internet for recipes. There are quite a few. It was really hard to decide what kind to make. But since I have a thing for savory sweet and since I had a HUGE bag of apples from a friend’s apple tree sitting on my kitchen floor, I decided to add maple and apples.
All I can say is….YUM! These mouth-watering little sausage patties are the perfect combo of salty and sweet. I literally had to stop myself from eating anymore so I could actually get the photos taken for this recipe. Little One was in the kitchen with me begging for “more, mama, please!” And please NOTE that I am using REAL maple syrup, not the artificially-flavored, high fructose corn syrup kind.
I only made one pound of sausage but next time I will double or triple the recipe. You can easily form the patties and freeze them for cooking up later on. Be sure to separate the layers with unbleached parchment paper (like this). Simply remove a couple from the freezer and fry them up, about 5 minutes in each side. Easy peasy protein snack or meal. Who doesn’t need some ready-to-go things for those busy days?
I recommend using high quality, humanely-raised meat from pigs that have been allowed to roam, enjoy the sunshine, and to forage. Please do not support factory-farmed pork. We are lucky here in Northern California to have several local farmers who raise good quality pork. Read more about eating pork HERE and HERE.
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/4 medium onion
- 1 clove fresh garlic
- 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and quartered
- 1 and 1/2 TBS REAL maple syrup (like this)
- 2 TBS fresh herbs, finely chopped (Basil, cilantro, oregano, parsley…whatever you have)
- 1 tsp celtic sea salt (I use this one)
- 1/2 tsp ground sage, dried (like this)
- 1 TBS coconut oil (like this), butter, or ghee (like this)
- In a small food processor, puree onion and garlic. Add apple pieces and pulse until apple is broken up into tiny pieces but not pureed. (You can skip this step and just chop everything fine if you don’t mind chunks of onion, garlic, and apple. I prefer is a bit more incorporated.)
- Saute onion/garlic/apple mixture in 1 TBS of fat of choice over medium heat for 5-7 minutes, until it softens and begins to brown a bit. Allow to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, add maple syrup to ground pork and mix thoroughly. Add the rest of the ingredients, including onion/garlic/mixture and mix well. I use my hands.
- Shape into desired sized patties and either fry up now or freeze for later. If freezing, separate layers with unbleached parchment paper.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
Some other breakfast sausage recipes you may enjoy:
- Homemade Breakfast Sausage Patties from Food Renegade
- Savory Maple Breakfast Sausage from The Prairie Homestead
- Say Goodbye to Jimmy Dean from Healthy Living How To
- Homemade Sausage from Living Low Carb
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.