Meet my childhood crush. Coming at your today with a simple and delicious Homemade Healthy Nutella recipe.
Being from Europe, you guys KNOW that I grew up eating Nutella. And it’s been YEARS since I’ve had any. I finally decided to make a healthier version so my kids could share in my childhood nostalgia. I can’t believe how easy it was to make. And how freaking delicious it is. All real food ingredients. None of the crap.
OK… who else grew up eating Nutella for breakfast? I know I did. Since then, I’ve changed my ways and tend to eat protein and vegetables for breakfast. But sometimes a little chocolate hazelnut butter treat is just what a girl needs.
The recipe is simple. Only 6 ingredients. No artificial garbage or hydrogenated oils. Lightly roasted hazelnuts combined with sweet chocolate. And it actually tastes like I remember. Takes me back to long summer days in Finland before I had any responsibilities or worries.
The best part about this healthy nutella recipe is sharing it with my kids. There are times that I wonder if they feel like they are missing out because I’m such a health food nut. They have both grown up eating healthy, delicious clean food. And I do bake healthy treats once in a while. It just feels good to share with them some nostalgic sweetness from my childhood. Kind of like giving them a window into my past.
Tips for Making Healthy Nutella:
- The most time consuming part of this recipe is removing the skins of the hazelnuts. I do this by first roasting the nuts and then rubbing skins off with a clean kitchen towel. I recommend doing this in small batches. Simply place hazelnuts into the fold of a clean kitchen towel and rub the skins off. Don’t worry about getting all of the skin off, just most of it.
- Be patient when you are making the hazelnut butter in the first step. Give it time to get nice and creamy. This will make for a smooth final product.
- Once you add the remaining ingredients to the hazelnut butter, again be patient while the mixture incorporates. Process until it is nice and smooth. This will ensure that your healthy nutella will not separate in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 375’F. Place hazelnuts onto baking sheet and roast for 12-15 minutes until nuts are fragrant and slightly brown. Remove from oven.
- To peel off skins, place roasted nuts into the fold of a kitchen towel and gently massage until most of skin comes off.
- Place peeled hazelnuts into food processor and process until creamy smooth – about 8-10 minutes. Be sure to scrape sides a couple of times.
- Add remaining ingredients and process again until smooth. This may take a couple of minutes. Adjust consistency with extra coconut milk if too thick.
- Store in airtight glass container for about a week. Enjoy!
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.