It’s getting close to summer time. And that means firing up the grill. It gets WAY too hot in the house sometimes to even want to do any cooking. I love to just make a yummy salad and to grill up some chicken or burgers outside. This year, I’m ready. I have made my own barbeque sauce.
I’ve tried many of the store bought ones. They either have things in them I would prefer not to eat, or they just aren’t any good. We prefer a milder sauce that is not too sweet but has a little zest to it. This one is just perfect. The secret is to caramelize the onions to give a nice rich flavor to the sauce. Feel free to add a bit more chili powder or some cayenne if you like a little more kick. Here is my version of summertime BBQ sauce:
- 1medium onion, sliced into thin rings
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup honey (like this)
- 2 TBS unsulfured molasses (like this)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (I use this one)
- 6 oz. of tomato paste
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder (like this)
- 1/2 – 1 tsp chili powder (like THIS)
- 3/4 tsp celtic sea salt (I use THIS one)
- several grinds of fresh black pepper
- 2 TBS ghee (like this) or butter for sauteing
- Melt the 2 TBS of ghee or butter in skillet and add sliced onions. Gently saute on low to medium heat to caramelize (about 20 – 25 minutes ) pushing around once in a while to prevent sticking. If it starts to stick, add a TBS of water to pan
- Once onions are nice and brown, add garlic and saute for 2-3 minutes more. Add cumin and gently saute for about a minute to bring out the flavor. Remove from heat.
- Meanwhile, combine all of the rest of the ingredients in a bowl and mix until well combined. Add onion/garlic/cumin mixture
- Use an immersion blender or regular blender to puree until completely smooth
- Reduce mixture in small pan on low heat for 10-12 minutes, or until reaches desired thickness
- Store in fridge in glass jar
I know that barbeque sauce comes in many different flavors, and people get particular about how they like it. I have included a few other recipes I found on-line for you to check out. ENJOY!!!
- Honey Chipotle BBQ Sauce from Mommypotamus
- Homemade BBQ Sauce from Smitten Kitchen
- Organic Barbeque Sauce from Kelly the Kitchen Kop
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.