Today I am baking cookies with my girls for the holidays. And these grain free thumbprint cookies are one of my favorite cookies to make. I just love the chewy almond cookie drenched in homemade chia berry jam.
Baking with my girls is one of my favorite things to do. I can’t say that baking with a 2 and 1/2 year old is always super relaxing, but I do love to see them in the kitchen having fun. These grain free thumbprint cookies are great to make with the kiddos. They just LOVE to press their thumbs into the gooey dough ball to make space for the jam.
Loaded with protein-rich almond flour, sweetened with mineral rich honey or maple syrup, and topped with homemade berry jam thickened with chia seeds, these delicious cookies are a great alternative to sugar-laden holiday treats. And they are so cute! Wouldn’t you agree?
FOR CHIA BERRY JAM:
- 1 and 1/2 cups berries, fresh or frozen (defrost if frozen)
- 2 TBS raw honey or real maple syrup
- 2 tsp chia seeds (like these)
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
FOR COOKIE DOUGH:
To make chia berry jam:
- Bring berries and sweetener of choice to a low simmer in a small pan. Once the berries release their liquid, add chia seeds. Continue to simmer on low for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, add vanilla, and let cool.
- Preheat oven to 350′ F.
- Combine egg, coconut oil, sweetener of choice, vanilla, and salt in a large bowl.
- Add almond flour in slowly and mix to thoroughly combine.
- Roll dough into small balls and place on a baking sheet lined with unbleached parchment paper OR a silicone baking mat.
- Using your thumb, create a little indentation in each cookie ball. Spoon and small amount of chia berry jam onto each cookie.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes then transfer to baking rack to cook completely.
BAKER’S TIP: I like to make the chia berry jam the night before. The consistency is best when it has had time to cool and set. This jam is absolutely delicious. You can use any leftover jam on pancakes, muffins, or just to eat by the spoonful.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.