Crisp is one of the easiest desserts to make. Fruit and crumble, that’s it. The secret is to make a super yummy crumble for the top. One that’s sweet and crunchy without being sugary and dense. This is my attempt at a fabulous crisp: Grain-Free Pear Crisp.
I have pears coming out of my ears this year. Last week, I made an Upside Down Pear Cake with cardamom honey glaze. It was beautiful and deliciously spiced. Today, I made this pear crisp. My sweetie kindly peeled and chopped 12 cups of pears for me so I could make 2 attempts. Both turned out great. Lucky for me, since crisp number one got eaten before I even had a chance to take a photo. My poor family. They often have to wait to devour the food I make until I have time to set up my shots and take several photos.
The crumble on this crisp is super versatile. I don’t use any grains in my crumble. Just almond flour, shredded coconut, and nuts. I used cashews and hazelnuts because that is what I had. You can use any nuts that you wish. I do recommend using soaked and dehydrated nuts for better digestibility. Read more HERE about that. The trick to getting the crumble to be just right is placing your coconut oil in the fridge for 30 minutes or so (probably less in the freezer.) You just want it to harden so it makes a nice crumbly texture when you pulse it in.
Since I have so many pears, that’s what I used. But I sometimes like to combine fruits together. Feel free to combine pears with apples or berries for a different variation. Enjoy!
Grain Free Pear Crisp
- 6 cups peeled and chopped pears
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 1 TBS RAW honey (I use this one)
- 2 tsp arrowroot powder (like this)
- 1/4 tsp powdered ginger
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- FOR CRUMBLE:
- 1 cup nuts (cashew, hazelnut, macadamia, almond, pecan, or walnut), preferably soaked and dehydrated
- 1 cup almond flour (like this)
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 TBS honey
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (like this)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, cold and hard from the fridge (I use this one)
- Preheat oven to 350’F
- Combine chopped pears with lemon juice, honey, ginger, cinnamon, allspice, and arrowroot powder. Mix to evenly coat. Pour mixture into baking dish.
- In food processor, pulse nuts, almond flour, cinnamon, and honey until nuts are broken down into tiny pieces.
- Add COLD coconut oil and shredded coconut. Pulse until mixture forms a nice crumbly texture.
- Spread crumble evenly over pears and bake, covered with foil, for 15 minutes. Then remove foil and bake another 20-25 minutes until crumble is starting to brown.
- Allow to cool slightly before serving. Delicious on it’s own but even better with whipped cream or ice cream. ENJOY!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.