I made a holiday recipe for you. Who wants gingerbread waffles for breakfast?
You guys, I am SO excited! After MONTHS of not having a waffle maker, my awesome family gave me one for my birthday. (Thank you, family!) And I almost forgot how much I love waffles.
And because it’s December, I thought it would fun to make a holiday waffle.
Now you guys know that I’m all about healthy real foods. But that doesn’t mean we can’t have something decadent and sweet for breakfast once in a while. I mean, IT IS THE HOLIDAY SEASON. Am I right?
So here’s the deal. These waffles are the BOMB!! They are crispy, light, and seriously delish. They are perfectly spiced with that old-fashioned gingerbread flavor we all love. Guaranteed to put you in the holiday mood. And BONUS: They are gluten and grain free.
And the maple cream. Let’s talk about that cream for a moment. Maple-flavored whipped cream or whipped coconut cream to bring out the gingerbread flavor. It’s sort of like the icing on the cake. You can definitely make these yummy waffles without it, but I encourage you to just do it. It’s so good!
These Gingerbread Waffles are an official hit around our house. The hubs said they taste like a real gingerbread cookie. Little One said we should make these again and again. With more maple cream, of course. My oldest said that they taste just like the crispy waffles you buy at the store. I think that’s a good thing.
OK… who’s ready for a gingerbread waffle? Lots of holiday love to you all!
P.S. In case you are wondering, THIS is the waffle maker that I got. It’s amazing. Perfect waffles EVERY time. It beeps when it’s ready to use and beeps again when waffle is ready. Plus it has a special steam release feature on the side so waffles come out super crispy.
Crispy, light, and seriously delish. They are perfectly spiced with that old-fashioned gingerbread flavor we all love. Gluten free.
- 1 cup almond flour (I use THIS fine blanched brand)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder (like this)
- 1 tsp baking powder (I like THIS corn free brand)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
- pinch of clove powder
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (I use THIS BPA free brand)
- 2 tbsp blackstrap molasses (like this)
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 3 tbsp ghee, butter, or coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ghee, butter, or coconut oil to grease waffle maker
FOR MAPLE CREAM
- 1 cup whipping cream OR coconut cream (the thick cream from the top of a full fat coconut milk when chilled in fridge)
- 1–2 tbsp maple syrup
- Preheat waffle maker.
- Whisk together almond flour, arrowroot, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove. Set aside.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, coconut milk, molasses, maple syrup, melted fat of choice, and vanilla.
- Pour wet into dry and mix until smooth.
- Liberally brush melted fat on waffle maker. Spoon mix onto hot waffle iron. I did about 1/2 cup per waffle. Each waffle maker will vary. Cook until golden brown. Serve hot.
- To make maple cream: whip whipping cream or coconut cream with maple syrup until soft and fluffy.
- For crispy waffles, I recommend liberally oiling your waffle iron before making each waffle.
- Baking powders traditionally have GMO corn in them. You can find a corn free brand HERE, I prefer to make my own: 1 part baking soda, 2 parts cream of tartar, and 2 parts arrowroot powder.
- Leftover waffles can be reheated in toaster oven or oven. They crips up nicely.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.