A lovely fruit tart with an easy to make gluten free crust, a perfect dairy free vanilla pastry cream, and topped with your favorite fruit or berries.
I think I have a new go to dessert.
Several years ago, when I first met my husband, he gave me an eclair for my birthday. Somehow I had gotten through my entire adult life up until then without tasting one of those cream-filled treats. And it was LOVE at first bite.
But it wasn’t the perfect pastry dough outside or the chocolate glaze on top that had my heart fluttering. It was the vanilla pastry cream on the inside. Silky, smooth, and lightly vanilla flavored. Where had this been my whole life?
So I’m not going to try to compare this fruit tart to a luscious eclair, but the custardy vanilla cream is definitely inspired by that first decadent bite many years ago. And after many test batches, I think I finally nailed down my dairy free and refined sugar free version.
Introducing my simple fruit tart with the perfect vanilla pastry cream and a quick and easy press-in gluten free crust. I topped mine with loads of summer berries. Hope you love it!
Here’s the recipe deets:
the crust… a combination of almond flour, butter/ghee/coconut oil, maple syrup, and an egg. So super simple Just mix and press. No rolling out. Light and flaky. Pairs perfectly with the rich and creamy filling.
the vanilla pasty cream… smooth, velvety, and heavenly. A combo of coconut milk, egg yolks, maple syrup, arrowroot powder, vanilla, and butter/ghee/coconut oil. I would describe it as a cross between a custard and a pudding.
the topping… summer berries are always nice, but feel free to top it with any fruit or berry that you like. So versatile. Maybe even a chocolate drizzle. Wouldn’t that make it an eclair tart?
I recommend making the vanilla pastry cream ahead of time. Let it chill overnight. Once the crust has completely cooled, assemble the tart and chill for 30 minutes before serving.
It really is the perfect spring or summer dessert. And a total crowd pleaser. This thing did not last long in our house. Rave reviews from the entire family. Hubs actually said it’s the BEST thing I’ve ever made.
P.S. If tarts are your thing, check out my Lemon Curd Tart. It has a similar summer vibe with a bright lemon flavor.
DID YOU MAKE THIS AND LOVE IT? I WANT TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. SHARE THE LOVE ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG @savorylotus AND USE THE HASHTAG #savorylotus FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED. FOLLOW SAVORY LOTUS ON PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK TO KEEP UP WITH LATEST CONTENT AND UPDATES.Print
A lovely fruit tart with an easy to make gluten free crust, a perfect dairy free vanilla pastry cream, and topped with your favorite fruit or berries. (grain free and paleo)
FOR THE VANILLA PASTRY CREAM
- 1 can (15 ounce) full fat coconut milk ( I use THIS BPA free brand)
- 5 egg yolks
- 5 tbsp maple syrup (or honey or coconut sugar)
- 2 tbsp arrowroot powder or tapioca powder (like this or this)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil
FOR THE CRUST
- 2 cup blanched almond flour (I use THIS brand)
- 1/4 cup butter, ghee, or coconut oil – melted
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 egg, lightly whipped
- 1/4 tsp salt
- fresh fruit or berries of your choice
- To make vanilla pastry cream, pour coconut milk into medium sauce pan and gently heat until steaming but not boiling. Meanwhile, with a hand blender, whisk together egg yolks and maple syrup on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add arrowroot powder and whisk until well incorporated. Turn hand mixer onto low and VERY slowly (to prevent eggs from cooking) drizzle coconut milk mixture into egg mixture. Go slow or eggs will curdle and cook. Once all coconut milk has been added, return mixture back into saucepan and cook over low/medium heat, whisking constantly, until mixture thickens and coats the back of the spoon – about 10 minutes. Keep stirring to keep clumps from forming on the bottom. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and 1 tablespoon of fat of choice. Pour pastry cream into large glass bowl and place a round piece of parchment paper directly on the surface (to prevent a skin from forming) and chill for at least 4 hours (or overnight.)
- To make crust, preheat oven to 350’F and liberally grease a 9 inch tart pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, melted fat of choice, maple syrup, egg, and salt until well incorporated. Press mixture evenly into bottom and sides of tart pan. Prick the bottom of the crust several times with a fork to prevent puffing up. Bake for 10 minutes, until crust is starting to get golden. Allow to cool completely.
- To assemble fruit tart: pour chilled pastry cream into cooled crust and smooth the top. Add whatever fruit or berries make you happy. Chill for 30 minutes before serving. (Fruit tart is best served within a few hours.)
I love to make pastry cream with full fat coconut milk, but any dairy free milk will work.
I use a 9 inch tart pan, but you could also make this in a pie dish if you don’t have one.
CLICK HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.