Easy Broccoli Chicken Meatballs. Healthy, nutritious, and packed with hidden veggies.
Summer, please don’t go.
Here we are at the end of summer once again. A new school year. A more regular schedule. Back to making school lunches. Regular early dinners. And cooler weather. And I don’t feel ready yet.
But here we go. Time to get myself organized a bit more in the kitchen – which means more meal planning and prepping for me. I like to have some quick and easy recipes on hand to make meal times simple and stress-free.
That’s where meatballs come in. They are one of my go-to protein staples that I keep in the freezer for when life gets busy and everyone is hungry.
I’ve shared a few meatball recipes in the past. Some of our family favs are my Spinach and Cilantro Meatballs, my Pesto Meatballs, and my Asian-Style Meatballs. Today I’m sharing a lighter chicken meatball recipe that’s loaded with chopped broccoli.
They’re moist and tender. Flavor neutral, so they go with just about any meal. And they are super easy to throw together. We usually make beef meatballs so these chicken meatballs are a nice change of pace.
A few things about chicken meatballs:
….dry meatballs suck. I like to add an egg and a bit of extra fat (butter or ghee) to keep them juicy and moist.
…do not over cook. Because dry meatballs suck.
…slow your roll. Gently roll out your meatballs because tightly packed meatballs can wind up tough and chewy.
…use an ice cream scooper. Keeping all of your meatballs uniform means that they cook evenly and you won’t overcook some while you wait for others to finish cooking.
Need some recipe ideas for these little Broccoli Chicken Meatballs? Here’s some of ideas:
- simmer in bone broth with your favorite veggies for an easy soup
- pop in your lunch box (still frozen) for an easy lunch/snack
- add to a frittata
- add as protein to your favorite salad
- simmer in some tomato sauce and serve over zucchini noodles, spaghetti squash noodles or butternut squash noodles
This is definitely a keeper recipe in our family. I usually make a double batch and stash them in the freezer for later. Little One says that they are “perfect for people who don’t love broccoli because you still have to eat your veggies.” I guess I’m winning at meatballs today.
Happy end of summer, beautiful people!
Easy Broccoli Chicken Meatballs
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 28 meatballs
- Category: make ahead
- Preheat oven to 400′ F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper OR place a cooling rack on top of baking sheet.
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl until well incorporated.
- Roll into about 28 small meatballs ( I use a small cookie scoop to get uniform balls) and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until baked through and slightly golden.
- I prefer to steam the broccoli before adding it to the recipe. I’ve tried grated raw broccoli and don’t love the texture. Simply steam broccoli in a steamer basket for 4-5 minutes until slightly soft and still bright green. Be sure to finely chop for best texture.
- Most people bake meatballs right on the baking sheet (lined with parchment paper), which works fine. I find that my meatballs cook a bit more evenly if I place them on a cooling rack on top of the baking sheet.
- I use cassava flour as a binder. You can sub blanched almond flour if that’s what you have.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.