Coming at you with another cozy winter soup – ready to eat in 30 minutes.
It’s been unusually cold and wet this year. And all I wanna do is eat soup. We’ve been making my Creamy Sweet Potato Bacon Chowder and my Ultimate Green Soup regularly over the past few weeks. I thought it was time to come up with another easy and satisfying soup to keep celebrating soup season.
It’s winter, and I eat what comes in our weekly CSA box from a local organic farm. Lots of cauliflower and kale this time of year, so that’s what I got to work with. I’m super excited because Little One has finally decided that she like cauliflower. I’ve been making mashed cauliflower seasoned with a bit of flavorful vegetable broth and lots of butter. It’s her new fav side dish.
Today I’m sharing a warming and comforting cauliflower and kale soup that’s super easy to throw together and hearty enough to take the chill off of a cold winter day. The stars of this soup are the anti-inflammatory turmeric and the warming ginger. Slightly creamy and perfectly spiced to warm the soul. I’ve found this soup is a great way to get more vegetables into my family.
I love meals that I can throw together in 30 minutes of less. Soup is good like that. Easy, fast, and inviting. I usually serve soup with a green salad and maybe some of my Grain Free Flatbread. My daughters both love the flatbread and have become experts in whipping it up while I cook up the soup.
I love cooking with my kids. Little One is often my photography assistant when I shoot my recipes. She’s becoming quite the little helper these days. Have I mentioned that I love my job???? Being able to be home while I work is a real dream come true for me.
Hope you are having a great first few weeks of 2017 and are crushing your health goals so far! Stay positive.
Curried Cauliflower and Kale Soup
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 -5 servings
- 1 tsp curry powder (like this)
- 2 tsp turmeric powder (like this)
- 1 tsp cumin powder (like this)
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne powder (optional) (like this)
- 2 tbsp butter, ghee, or coconut oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 head of cauliflower
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1-2 inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and grated (depending on how gingery you like it)
- 3 cups broth (bone broth OR vegetable broth)
- 2 cups kale, tough ribs removed and sliced thin (I used the Dino kind)
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA free coconut milk)
- salt to taste
- lemon wedges
- Combine curry powder, turmeric, cumin, pepper, and cayenne (if using) in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Heat fat of choice in large soup pot and saute onions until translucent and starting to brown. Add garlic and spices and cook another 30 seconds to temper flavors.
- While onions are cooking, roughly chop cauliflower and pulse in batches in food processor into course rice-like texture.
- Once garlic and spices are cooking, add cauliflower, chopped carrots, and ginger. Toss to evenly coat. Add broth, bring to boil, then turn down heat and allow to simmer, covered, until veggies and tender. (about 10-12 minutes)
- Add coconut milk and kale. Continue to cook until kale is wilted and bright green. Add salt to taste.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and lemon wedges. Enjoy!
** No need to be perfect when “ricing” the cauliflower. Just pulse until it’s broken down into small, tiny bits. This gives a very nice texture to the soup.