This is for all of your lovers out there. Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, so I thought I would share the recipe for my favorite love potion. Make this decadent chocolate aphrodisiac liqueur and serve it anytime you want to spice things up a bit.
Whether you are looking to be playful with a new lover or to rekindle that spark that seems to have dimmed in the light of toddlers and time, this tasty chocolate elixir is for you!
What is a Cordial?
Cordial is another name for liqueur. It is a neutral alcohol that is sweetened and often flavored. They are made to be sipped slowly or to be added as flavorings. The word cordial comes from the Latin word “cor” which means heart. The word liqueur comes from the Latin word for to melt or to dissolve. So I like to consider cordials special potions to melt or dissolve the heart. That’s exactly what this one is for!
What is damiana?
Damiana is a small shrub native to south Texas, Southern California, Mexico, and Central America that has been used for centuries medicinally as an aphrodisiac. It was used by the Mayan to boost sexual potency, and has been used to relieve anxiety, nervousness, and mild depression. How damiana works as an aphrodisiac is not clearly understood but some thoughts are that it restores energy levels thus increasing libido, it stimulates libido by increasing oxygen circulation to the genital area, and it creates a relaxing effect that promotes the desire to be close. Sounds good to me!
How to use this cordial:
This cordial is a silky, chocolatey, decadent drink made for sipping. A little bit goes a long way. (too much alcohol can have the OPPOSITE effect that you are looking for!) You can drink it on its own right from the bottle. Or if you want to kick it up a notch, you can make it into a fancy cocktail that is sure to knock your socks off (and maybe more than that!).
Enjoy it with your sweetie when you want to feel a bit more JUICY with each other. (oh, did I just say that? ) Serve it in a delicate small glass to set the mood. Make it ahead of time and have it on hand when the moment is right.Print
- Soak damiana leaves in alcohol for 1 week. Strain and reserve liquid in a clean glass bottle.
- Soak the alcohol-drenched leaves in filtered water for 2 days. Strain and reserve liquid.
- Gently warm the water extract (over very low heat) and stir in honey. Remove from heat and add the alcohol extract. Pour into clean glass jar, add the vanilla and rose water, and allow to mellow for 2-4 weeks. (this gets better with age!)
- For every cup of damiana liquer that you have, add a 1/2 cup of chocolate sauce. Adjust the vanilla and rose water to your liking.
- Store in fridge for several months. ENJOY! But don’t say I didn’t warn you!
To flavor this cordial, I use my own recipe for The Perfect Chocolate Sauce which is dairy and refined sugar free. But feel free to use any chocolate sauce/syrup that you like. which is dairy and refined sugar free. But feel free to use any chocolate sauce/syrup that you like.
To Make Chocolate Cordial Cocktail
- 1 cup Chocolate Love Cordial
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 cup of ice
- Optional: coconut whipped cream and raw cacao powder for garnish
- Place cordial, coconut milk, and ice into cocktail shaker or large glass jar with lid.
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds
- Strain and serve in fancy cocktail glasses
- Garnish with coconut whipped cream and raw cacao powder if desired
Makes 2 servings
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
photo credit: depositphotos.com / grafvision
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.