You won’t even miss the bun with these super easy, healthy, and full of flavor chili lime chicken burgers.
Usually I’m a beef burger kind of girl, but there’s one human in our family who doesn’t eat beef, so sometimes I have to compromise on burger night.
But you won’t hear me complaining when these juicy and zesty chicken burgers show up on my dinner plate, especially if there’s a side of crispy sweet potatoes happening as well.
I used to shy away from ground turkey and chicken burgers because, honestly, I don’t like dry meat. But over time, I’ve learned a few things about keeping burgers moist and tender. Now chicken burgers are on regular rotation, and I LOVE how easily they take up whatever flavor profile I’m throwing at them.
Now doesn’t this look tasty?
Here’s the recipe deets:
ground chicken… healthy and light, ground chicken is the perfect summer time burger meat. I recommend using ground chicken thigh meat versus breast meat as it makes for a much juicer burger. (see my tips for keeping things juicy below.)
spices… a mix of chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and black pepper give these little burgers a nice southwestern flare.
lime… because who doesn’t like a little zest in their burger.
cilantro… you either love it or hate it. I LOVE LOVE the “lemony” fresh flavor of cilantro. If it’s not your jam, you can use parsley instead.
red onion… crunch and flavor
avocado… because y’all know that I like to put avo on everything.
crispy lettuce… is the best part of eating a burger. I like to use butter leaf lettuce as it makes an awesome lettuce wrap.
grill or pan… grill them outside or in a pan in the kitchen. I compromise by cooking them in my grill pan that I got for $8 at a local thrift store. SCORE!
sweet potato fries… basically are life. And I highly recommend making them anytime you make burgers. Grab the recipe HERE.
How to keep your chicken burgers juicy:
Tip #1 Like I said, use ground chicken thigh instead of ground breast.
Tip #2 Skip the egg and bread crumbs. Both will leave you with a dense and dry burger.
Tip #3 Add a bit of extra fat. I like to add a tablespoon of melted ghee (or butter) when I cook leaner ground meats like turkey or chicken.
Tip #4 Gentle handling. Form your patties gently without too much pressure. They will be fragile at first but will firm up as they cook.
Tip #5 Don’t overcook. Cook your burgers until cooked all the way though but don’t go overboard. Ideally, chicken needs to be at 165’F to be fully cooked but still tender and juicy. I don’t use a meat thermometer, but feel free if you have one. I find that cooking 4-5 minutes per side is perfect.
This recipe makes 4 burger patties. They can be easily meal prepped and frozen for later use. Simply reheat gently in toaster oven or oven when ready to eat.
DID YOU MAKE THIS AND LOVE IT? I WANT TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. SHARE THE LOVE ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG @savorylotus AND USE THE HASHTAG #savorylotus FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED. FOLLOW SAVORY LOTUS ON PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK TO KEEP UP WITH LATEST CONTENT AND UPDATES.Print
Super easy, healthy, and full of flavor chili lime chicken burgers. Gluten free. Paleo. Whole30.
- 1 tsp chili powder (like this)
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder (like this)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (like this)
- pinch of black pepper
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- juice from 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp ghee or butter, melted
- ghee, butter, or avocado oil for cooking
- crispy lettuce, pickled red onions, sprouts, mashed avocado , and crispy sweet potato fries for serving**
- In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and black pepper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, gently combine ground chicken, salt, onion, cilantro, lime, melted fat, and about 3/4 of the chili spice mixture until well incorporated. Form into 4 even-sized patties. Sprinkle remaining chili spice mixture over the top of each burger.
- Cook patties on a skillet, grill pan, or outdoor BBQ for 4-5 minutes on each side, until cooked all the way through. Be sure to liberally oil the skillet, pan, or BBQ to prevent sticking.
- Serve over crispy butter leaf lettuce with pickled red onions, sprouts, and avocado. Enjoy.
** to make mashed avocado, combine 1/2 avocado, a bit of fresh lime juice and a pinch of salt in a small bowl. Mash with fork until fully incorporated.
Grab the recipe for crispy sweet potato fries HERE.
Grab the recipe for pickled red onions HERE.
Keywords: chicken burgers
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.