I like to call this apple cake a slice of cardamom heaven.
It’s baking season, and that calls for lots of cozy, sweet smelling recipes, am I right? And since it also happens to be apple season, I’m sharing one of my all time favorite fall time cakes with y’all. You may have seen me posting it on Instagram a few weeks back.
Today’s recipe is actually called Finnish Omenakakku, but since very few of you probably speak Finnish, we’ll just call it apple cake. A simple apple cake like this is very traditional in Finnish baking. I’ve seen my mother whip one up more than once when company is coming. I’ve eaten more than a few slices over tea with my grandmother.
What I love about apple cake is that it isn’t an overly sweet dessert, and the texture is perfectly soft and moist. It’s a solid cake without being too heavy.
But the best part is the cardamom. Finns use cardamom in almost all of our sweet baking. The smell itself evokes so many memories for me. I just adore the way the sweet fragrant cardamom pairs with fresh fall time apples. It really does feel like heaven to me.
The recipe is super easy. Just a few simple ingredients coming together to make a humble cake that you will want to make again and again. We all need those go-to recipes that never fail.
Obviously this is not the OG recipe from my childhood. I took liberties and made it gluten and dairy free. But the feeling is still the same. Warm, cozy, and totally worthy of a chilly fall day and a hot cup of tea.
- 1 large apple, peeled and sliced into 24 slices
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp coconut sugar (like this)
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder (like this)
- 1 and 1/2 cups almond flour (I use THIS blanched brand)
- 1/2 cup arrowroot powder (like this)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 cup of apple, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup butter, ghee, or coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp ACV (I use THIS raw brand)
- Preheat oven to 350’F. Line 10 inch cast iron skillet with parchment paper and oil liberally.
- To make topping, combine apple slices, coconut sugar, and cardamom in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together almond flour, arrowroot, baking soda, salt, and cardamom. Fold in apple cubes.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, maple syrup, fat of choice, vanilla, and apple cider vinegar. Add wet to dry and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Pour batter into prepared skillet and arrange apple slices over in a circular pattern. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until golden and center is firm. ENJOY!
- If you don’t have a 10 inch cast iron skillet, you can make this is a 10 inch spring form pan. Bake time will be a bit less ~ 30-35 minutes.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.