Ready for a warm and comforting fall treat? These Autoimmune Paleo (AIP) friendly Caramel Apple Parfaits are just what you’re looking for. These parfaits are nut free, gluten free, and dairy free, and full of fall flavor. Store in a mason jar for a pre-portioned, easy to store treat.
It wasn’t long ago that I was sharing the recipe for my summery AIP Key Lime Pie Parfaits, and yet, here I am with a fall parfait recipe. Caramel dipped apples, Apple Galettes, and pear tarts are all classic fall dessert recipes, and although it’s still in the upper 90s in Austin, I was craving them all.
I’m currently following my second “reset” of the Autoimmune Protocol (which is basically a nutritional protocol that focuses on eliminating common food triggers for those suffering from an autoimmune disease, like dairy, corn, soy, legume, gluten, and grains). If that’s not already a buzz kill, AIP also eliminates a few more of my favorite foods like chocolate, coffee, nightshade veggies/spices, and nuts.
About two years ago during first successful AIP attempt I identified 5 ways to rock the AIP transition. However, it took me all this time to realize that I missed a pretty crucial tool to have in your arsenal when planning to rock a successful transition into the diet – a plethora of healing, AIP friendly dessert recipes.
During this AIP reset, I decided to challenge myself by coming up with 1 new, healing, inflammation reducing recipe each week (you can follow along with me on instagram, @grassfedsalsa). The first recipe this challenge brought about were those AIP Key Lime Pie Parfaits I mentioned earlier, followed by my Sweet Potato Avocado Toast Bites. Which brings me to these Caramel Apple Parfaits.
With the fall and winter holiday season coming up, these AIP-friendly Caramel Apple Parfaits are sure to be included on my weekly meal plans. They’re so simple to make, travel well, and aren’t complete starch and sugar bombs – three reasons I love parfaits!
- 2 cups sliced and peeled apples and pears (I used 3 apples and 2 pears)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil (like this)
- ¼ cup pure, grade B maple syrup (like this)
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk (room temperature)
- ½ Tbsp coconut oil
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 cups shredded, unsweetened coconut (like this)
- 2 Tbsp pure, grade B maple syrup
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1 batch Apple Pie Filling
- 1 batch Salted Coconut Caramel
- 1 batch Coconut Crumble
- 1 batch Coconut Milk Whipped Cream (get recipe HERE)
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- FOR APPLE FILLING: Peel and slice your apples and/or pears. Heat coconut oil on a skillet over medium heat and add sliced fruit and cinnamon. Stir occasionally until the fruit is soft (about 5-10 minutes).
- FOR COCONUT SALTED CARAMEL: Heat maple syrup over medium low heat for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly. This should be bubbling, but make sure to stir it and not overheat to prevent it from burning. Remove from heat and slowly add remaining ingredients. Stir to combine. Don’t worry if the mixture solidifies a bit, these will release during the next round of heating. Add pan back to heat for about 10 minutes, stirring constantly. The mixture should thicken, but won’t solidify. Set aside in a jar to cool.
- FOR COCONUT CRUMBLE: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Combine all ingredients in a bowl until the coconut looks well covered. Spread evenly across cookie sheet, and bake until the flakes start turning brown. The coconut will crisp as it cooks, so be patient!
- FOR ASSEMBLY: Drizzle Coconut Salted Caramel around the top of six small lidded jars. Allow Caramel to drizzle down the sides of each jar. Alternate layering Coconut Crumble and Apple Filling in the jars, leaving about 1” at the top. Top each parfait with a small scoop of Coconut Milk Whipped Cream or Roasted Banana Ice Cream (recipe HERE), and sprinkle with ground cinnamon.