Creating recipes is so much fun for me. This recipe was an idea I had one day when trying to figure out what to do with all the apples sitting on my kitchen counter. I have more apple sauce than I know what to do with. I’ve made a couple of apple crisps already. So I decided to make muffins. I love it when recipes turn out better than I expected. I hope you enjoy these Apple Streusel Muffins with Pumpkin Frosting.
My favorite muffins used to be my Carrot Ginger Coconut Muffins. These were always my go-to muffins. I may have a new favorite. These apple muffins that I made are so moist and so delicious that we ate them ALL in one day. Lightly spiced with cinnamon coated nuts in the middle. Add some over-the-top pumpkin frosting. Heaven!
Seriously, ya’ll. These muffins are outrageously good. If you want to impress your family with your amazingly awesome baking skills, bust out some of these one day. Loaded with good healthy fats and warming spices, they are perfect for cold weather dessert. Warning: Your family may be left begging for more.
- 2 cups almond flour (this is the brand I use)
- 3 eggs (preferably pastured)
- ½ cup REAL maple syrup OR RAW honey
- ½ cup ghee, butter, OR coconut oil (melted)
- 1 cup peeled and chopped apples (into ½ inch cubes)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp allspice powder
- pinch of clove
- ½ tsp celtic sea salt (I use this one)
- ½ cup finely chopped nuts of choice (hazelnuts, pecan, walnuts) ~ preferably soaked and dehydrated
- 3 TBS REAL maple Syrup or RAW honey
- 3 TBS ghee, butter, OR coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- Preheat oven to 350'F. Line muffin tin with 12 unbleached paper liners (like these).
- To prepare streusel: mix chopped nuts, fat of choice, honey (or syrup) and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Combine almond flour, baking soda, sea salt, ginger, allspice, and clove in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, ½ cup fat of choice, and honey (or syrup). Add dry ingredients and mix to combine. Fold in apple pieces.
- Spoon out a heaping TBS of mixture into each lined muffin cup. Then divide streusel evenly among 12 muffins. Top with remaining muffin batter.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes, until muffins are golden brown.
- While muffins are cooling,using a hand blender, cream together all frosting ingredients until smooth. Place in fridge for a few minutes to harden if too soft. Once muffins are completely cool, frost your muffins any way that you feel inspired. ENJOY!