Get dinner on the table in 15 minutes with no cooking involved with this crispy, crunchy Chinese Chicken Salad.
I’m on a mission here on the blog to continually share my fast and easy, family-friendly real food recipes to keep you inspired in the kitchen. Thrown together in just 15 minutes with no cooking involved, this super simple Chinese Chicken Salad with a flavorful ginger vinaigrette may just become your new fav summer staple salad.
Fact: I love to cook. Fact: I love to NOT cook in the summer. Anyone else with me on this?
One of my favorite summer time kitchen hacks is a good quality rotisserie chicken. It’s the foundation for many meals in our kitchen during the hot summer months. As we slide home at 6pm with hungry bellies, I can easily throw together a healthy, satisfying meal in just minutes. The trick is to keep the fridge stocked with lots of fresh produce for big, beautiful salads.
May I diverge here for a moment and talk about fresh, local produce? This is a quote that caught my attention many years ago when I read Barbara Kingsolver’s book, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle: A Year of Food Life.
Each food items in a typical U.S. meal has traveled an average of 1,500 miles….If every U.S. citizen ate just one meal a week (any meal) composed of locally and organically raised meats and produce we would reduce our country’s oil consumption by over 1.1 million barrels of oil every week.
I happen to live in an area where local, organic produce is easily accessible. Our local Farmer’s Markets are spilling over with bountiful produce this time of year. I know this is not the case everywhere that you go. But I would like to encourage every one of you to consider how we can all begin to bring our food sources a little closer so our lifestyles become a bit more sustainable. Farmer’s Markets, local produce stands, local butchers, local farms with CSA programs are all ways we can tap into the local food market in order to reduce the energy (and fuel) it takes to get our food onto the table.
OK… let’s get back to eating well without cooking.
The fabulous part about this Chinese Chicken Salad is that it requires very few ingredients: one rotisserie chicken, crunchy napa and purple cabbage, shredded carrots, fresh cilantro, and green onions. Add some sliced almonds and sesame seeds for garnish. And drizzle it all with a tasty Asian-style sesame ginger dressing. Summer perfection!! (Be sure to make the dressing ahead of time for even faster execution.)
It’s easy, it’s light, and it’s full of flavor. Happy summer, dear friends.
FOR SESAME GINGER VINAIGRETTE
- 1/3 cup olive oil (THIS is my fav brand)
- 1 and 1/2 tbsp toasted sesame oil (like this)
- 3 tbsp apple cider vinegar (I use THIS raw brand)
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (like this)
- 1–2 tsp honey
- 1 tbsp grated fresh ginger
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp sriracha chili sauce – optional (like this)
- one rotisserie chicken, shredded
- 1 head napa cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- 2 cups purple cabbage, shredded
- 1 and 1/2 cup shredded or julienned carrot
- 1/4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- sliced almonds
- sesame seeds (white or black)
- Prepare dressing by whisking all ingredients together until well combined. Add optional sriracha chili sauce for a bit of heat. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss together napa cabbage, red cabbage, carrots, green onions, and cilantro. Add shredded chicken. Drizzle on desired amount of dressing and toss to coat. Garnish with sliced almonds and sesame seeds. Serve immediately.
This salad can be made ahead. Add dressing just before serving to avoid a soggy salad.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.