My slow cooker is one of my best friends in the kitchen. There is nothing better than coming home to the savory smells of a warm, home-cooked dinner all ready to go. My new resolution is to be more efficient in the kitchen by cooking larger meals to last for a few days. The slow cooker, or crock pot, makes this easy. This week’s recipe: Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken.
Chicken is chicken and can sometimes get boring. But not with this recipe. Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken is a sweet and savory dish bursting with flavor. Loaded with traditional Moroccan spices and sweet apricots, your family will appreciate this exotic comfort meal.
Even though life gets full and I’m busy working on new recipes and editing photos, I still want my family to eat wholesome REAL food daily. Having a slow cooker makes this possible. With just a few minutes of prep in the morning, dinner cooks itself as I chase my toddler, fold the laundry, wash the dishes, and work on my blog.
I was amazed at the smells pouring out of my kitchen as this Slow Cooker Moroccan Chicken cooked. When it was done, we ladled it over steamed greens and happily gobbled it all up. Next time I’m definitely going to double the recipe.
NOTE: I usually like to sear my chicken pieces and saute my onions and spices before hand for extra flavor. I also add my veggies in half way through as I prefer them a bit less cooked. But if you are short on time, you can just throw it all into the slow cooker in the morning without all the fuss and it will still be amazing.
Oh, and if thighs and drumsticks are not your thing, feel free to use chicken breasts as well. The slow cooker is versatile and forgiving.
- 2-3 pounds chicken thighs and drumsticks (I used 4 and 4)
- 1 TBS ghee or coconut oil
- ½ of a medium onion, sliced into half rounds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- OPTIONAL: ¼ - ½ tsp cayenne powder
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 1 and ½ TBS fresh grated ginger
- 1 and ½ tsp unrefined sea salt
- 2 cups homemade bone broth (see recipe HERE)
- 1 cup dried apricots, roughly chopped
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (or carrots or winter squash), cubed into bite-sized pieces
- GARNISH: fresh cilantro
- Combine cumin, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, and minced garlic (and optional cayenne) in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the fat of choice on medium heat in a large skillet and cook chicken pieces for 3 minutes on each side. You may need to do this in batches if your pan is not big enough. Transfer into crock pot as you are done.
- When chicken is done, add onions to pan and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add spice mixture and saute another 30 seconds to bring out the flavors. Add extra fat if it begins to stick. Turn off heat.
- Add bone broth, ginger, and sea salt into skillet and then pour entire mixture mixture over the chicken in the crock pot.
- Cook for 3 hours on LOW then add the dried apricots and chopped sweet potatoes (or carrots/winter squash).
- Cook for at least another 3 hours.
- Enjoy! Serve with lots of fresh cilantro for a fragrant, amazing meal.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!