Today I was in the mood for some bread. Some days are just like that. So I put on my apron, and this is what I came up with: Grain Free Flatbread with Rosemary and Garlic.
I don’t eat out very much, mainly because I like to know exactly what is in the food that I am eating and because it is not always easy to find healthy options when I do not eat grains or dairy. But the other night, we went out to one of our favorite Farm to Table restaurant. I was drooling over the amazing flatbreads they were offering: caramelized onion and bacon, black mission fig and goat cheese, and a pesto chicken. Sigh!
No, I didn’t indulge. My stomach would not have been happy if I stuffed a giant gluten ball into it. But it did get me thinking. Thinking about flatbread. So I made some. And it was good. Just a simple grain free flatbread with fresh rosemary and garlic. I drizzled olive oil all over it and had a fabulous time eating it. It made me happy. Bread fix satisfied.
This easy grain free flatbread turned out better than I expected. I modified THIS recipe for paleo pizza crust that my teenager has been making for family pizza night. After a couple of attempts, I got the perfect combination of slightly crispy on the outside and deliciously chewy on the inside. I served it to my family for dinner, and it was a big hit.
I recommend using a preheated pizza stone or cast iron skillet for this recipe. It’s the secret to the crispy outside and deliciously chewy inside. I was lucky enough to find THIS cast iron pizza pan at a thrift store for $5, and it works perfectly.
Stay tuned for more flatbread recipes soon. I’m wanting to recreate some of the ones that I drool over in fancy restaurants.
- 1 cup tapioca flour (like this)
- ¼ cup coconut flour (like this)
- ½ tsp unrefined sea salt (I use this one)
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA and additive free coconut milk)
- ¼ cup ghee (like this) or coconut oil (like this)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- 1-2 tsp finely chopped garlic, depending on how much you love garlic
- olive oil and extra sea salt for garnish
- Preheat oven to 450'F and place a pizza stone, cast iron skillet, or very thick pizza pan into oven to heat up.
- Gently heat up coconut milk and ghee in a small sauce pan until very warm but not boiling
- Combine tapioca flour, sifted coconut flour, and salt in a large bowl. Pour coconut/ghee mixture on top. Mix until thoroughly combined. Allow to sit for a couple of minutes to cool and for coconut flour to absorb.
- Add beaten egg and mix again until full combined.
- CAREFULLY remove hot stone/pan from the oven, cover with unbleached parchment paper, and pour mixture into center. Using a spatula, evenly spread mixture until it is about ¼ inch thick. Sprinkle on rosemary and garlic.
- Bake for 9-12 minutes, depending on how crispy you like it. Garnish with olive oil and sea salt. Enjoy!