This recipe may just rock your world. I’m going to tell you how to make the creamiest cashew butter at home for a fraction of the price with only one ingredient.
This post is going to be short and sweet, just like the recipe I am going to share. It’s Spring Break for Little One, and we have been busy playing and having fun. Which means that mama has not been getting much work done. We all need a break some times, don’t we?
I’m all about quick healthy snacks. And cashew butter is currently one of my new snack obsessions. I smother it on apples, I eat it with bananas, and I eat heaping teaspoons of it because it it so amazingly delicious.
I used to buy raw cashew butter at the health food store. It was definitely a splurge, but I just love it so much. When I read the ingredients on the jar (only one: raw cashews), I knew I could make it at home for much less. How hard could it be?
Not very hard at all. All you need is cashews and a food processor. And about 15-20 minutes. Here’s a little step by step on how to do it.
Place the cashews into the bowl of food processor:
After 45 seconds:
After 3 minutes:
After 8 minutes:
After 18 minutes:
And the final result: There are no words to describe the taste of warm,creamy, homemade nut butter!
The ingredients: I’m a purist when it comes to my cashew butter. I use just plain organic raw cashews pieces, nothing else. Roasted cashews will work as well. I have seen recipes where folks add coconut oil. I haven’t seen the need to add any extra oil. Feel free to add a pinch of sea salt, a bit of vanilla powder, or even a titch of honey for flavor.
A word about food processors: There are many different kinds of food processors. I have had the same trusty one for over 14 years, and it’s still going strong. Some have stronger motors than others. My food processor can go for 15-20 minutes (with a couple of stops for scraping) without any problems. Some may need a couple minute break to keep from over-heating. Hint: if you see or smell smoke, you may want to give yours a break. 🙂
Doesn’t that look easy? Hope you enjoy! I’m off to enjoy the sunshine with Little One.
- 2½ cups cashews
- OPTIONAL: sea salt, vanilla powder, honey to taste
- Place cashews into bowl of food processor and process for about 2 minutes. Stop and scrape the sides and process again.
- Continue to process until you have a thick, creamy consistency about 15-20 minutes, scraping the sides as necessary. Be patient. It will happen. Time and heat will allow the rich oils from the cashew to be released to create a smooth nut butter. Be sure to give your food processor a break if it feels like it's getting too hot.
- If adding salt, vanilla, or honey, add during last few minutes of processing.
- Transfer to airtight glass jar and store in the fridge.