What do you do when you are having a dinner party and do not have a dessert to serve? Do what I did: serve up some of this super easy Lemon Berry Skillet Cake.
One of my favorite things to do EVER is to share food with the people that I love. I’m a tribal person. I like to have my people around. Life is busy and not always easy, so having a good support system is important to me.
How many of you find the nuclear family a bit isolating? I do! Unfortunately I do not live anywhere near my birth family. My parents and sister live all the way across the country on the East Coast. My dear brother lives in Mallorca, Spain. He’s an internationally- trained chef living in Europe. I miss him! So I have had to create a family for myself here in California.
How many of you have had to do this as well? My California family is my community. It is full of wonderful and special friends who have become part of my family. And the kids keep coming and growing. It’s very special to me. And I want my kids to grow up having a sense of community and belonging.
So this past weekend, when Alexei and I decided to gather our friends for a little impromptu potluck, I needed a quick dessert. There is really nothing like berry season here in California. Sweet strawberries, juicy blueberries, and beautiful raspberries everywhere you look. My little one walks around with a berry-stained face most days. This is my ode to lovely berries: Lemon Berry Skillet Cake.
It’s super easy to throw together. It’s gluten, grain, and dairy free. And it’s moist and delicious. I would almost describe it as “buttery perfection.” Something about the way full fat coconut milk and coconut oil taste together. It’s perfectly sweet with a hint of lemon. I’m smitten! This dessert turned out better than I expected.
My quest to understand coconut flour continues. I’m learning that it is a breed of it’s own. I recently ordered 3 pounds of coconut flour but somehow received 6 pounds. (yeah, that’s a LOT of coconut flour!) I guess you will be seeing much more coconut flour recipes on the site.
The skillet cake was a hit. Every last crumb was devoured by our fiends and family. It makes me happy to see the people that I love gathered, eating good food. I guess I like to show my love through things like skillet cake. Here’s to many more gathering to come!
Here’s a shot of the little ones at our dinner party the other night:
P.S. As you can probably tell, the photos were as impromptu as the dessert itself. I actually snapped these 2 photos, standing on my coffee table, just minutes before my guests arrived. That’s real life for ya!
- ½ cup coconut flour
- ¼ tsp unrefined sea salt
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 6 eggs
- 6 TBS real maple syrup or raw honey
- ½ cup coconut oil or ghee, melted
- 6 TBS full fat coconut milk (where to find BPA and additive free coconut milk)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBS fresh lemon juice
- zest from 1 lemon
- 1 cup of mixed berries (I used strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries. I chopped the strawberries into small pieces)
- coconut oil or ghee for oiling skillet
- Preheat oven to 350'F and LIBERALLY oil skillet with fat of choice.
- Sift together coconut flour, sea salt, and baking soda. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs until nice and foamy. Then add sweetener of choice, coconut oil/ghee, coconut milk, vanilla, lemon juice, and zest. Mix again to thoroughly combine.
- Slowly add dry to wet. Mix until combined. Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes to allow coconut flour to absorb.
- Pour into greased skillet. Gently spread evenly across bottom of skillet. Pour berries on top.
- Bake for 28-30 minutes, or until cake is firm in center and lightly golden.