I love baked goods. I do. Making muffins in the morning with my little one makes me happy. Today we made these yummy morsels: Blueberry Ginger Muffins.
It’s not just the baking that makes me happy. It’s the fact that I GET to make muffins with my little one in the morning. I am feeling so blessed and grateful to have the life that I am living.
For many years, I worked and worked to provide a good life for my oldest daughter. Being a single mom, it wasn’t easy doing it by myself. While she was at school, I was away from home making money to pay the bills. Life was good, but I craved to be home. I craved to have more time to be in my garden. I craved to have more time to be creative in the kitchen. And I craved to have more time with my family and friends.
Fast forward several years, and here I am, working from home, gardening like crazy, making ridiculous amounts of delicious food for my blog and for my family. It’s like a dream come true. So how did I get here?
It’s been a long road for sure. But there came a day when I decided to live the life that I wanted. There is security and safety in a steady job and a having full benefits. I was raised to work hard and to provide for my family. But what do you do when you find yourself 38 years old, getting ready to have your second baby, feeling burned out and tired from work work work?
After the birth of my second baby, I made the decision to make my family a priority. No amount of money or health care coverage was worth missing out on the precious years of watching my kids grown up. With my first, I was lucky enough to be home for almost 6 years. I wanted that for my second as well. I gave up my benefited position at work as a registered nurse and started this blog. It was a total leap of faith.
So what do I do now? I still work VERY part-time as an RN in Labor and Delivery and Postpartum at a local hospital- about 6 days a month. The rest of the time, I work on creating good content for Savory Lotus, take photos, edit photos, cook, clean, bake, clean, and attempt to navigate the social media realm of food blogging. The rest of the time, I am at home living my life. I get to wake up with my kids. I get to pull weeds in the garden. I get to be there when my almost 18 year old needs me. And I get to make muffins early in the morning with my sweet little Pearl.
I can’t say that it is always easy. Food blogging isn’t always consistent in the money that you make. But I’m happy. I’m inspired. And I am living the life that I love. So thank you all for your continued support. Without you, there would be no Savory Lotus. And thank you to my amazing partner and friend, Alexei. Your continues support, encouragement, and love have made all of this possible. I love you!
WOW! I wasn’t expecting to write so much. But there you are. My story. And I am grateful for it all. Here’s that awesome muffin recipe I was talking about. Loaded with sweet blueberries, slightly spiced with ginger, and perfectly moist and fluffy. Pearl insisted that we make mini muffins today, but you can make them regular sized as well. Enjoy!
Here’s to living the life that you dream about!
- 5 TBS coconut flour
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp unrefined sea salt
- ¼ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 eggs
- ¼ cup REAL maple syrup or raw honey
- 2 TBS full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA and additive free coconut milk)
- ¼ cup coconut oil or ghee, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 TBS grated fresh ginger
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 350'F. Line muffin tins with 24 mini unbleached muffin liners or regular unbleached muffin liners.
- Sift together coconut flour, salt and baking soda. Add shredded coconut. Set aside.
- Whisk eggs in a medium bowl. Add sweetener of choice, coconut milk, melted fat of choice, vanilla extract, and grated ginger. Mix to combine.
- Add dry to wet. Mix until thoroughly combined. Fold in blueberries.
- Bake mini muffins for 16-18 minutes and regular muffins for 22-24 minutes, or or until muffins are firm in the center and lightly golden.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
MORE GRAIN FREE MUFFIN RECIPES:
- Grain Free Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
- Carrot Ginger Coconut Muffins
- Apple Streusel Muffins with Pumpkin Frosting
- Paleo Banana Nut Muffins
- Orange Poppy Seed Muffins
- Pumpkin Spice Muffins
- Paleo Cinna Bun Muffin