Last night I had a dream about floating down a big river lit up by hundreds of floating flowers with candles on top. It was surreal and magical. I could hear the swish of the paddle as we drifted along. It deeply reminded me of my trip to Varanasi, India a few years back. Early morning puja along the sacred River Ganges, watching the funeral pyres burn. Nothing you will ever see in this country.
And so I felt inspired this morning to create some of the savory foods that we ate along our way. Today’s recipe: The Best Curry Simmer Sauce.
There is nothing like the sights and smells of Mother India. The colors, the flavors, the sounds, the people. It will forever be etched into my memory of one of the most magical and lively places.
And the food. The fabulous food. No where else will you eat such flavorful, amazing food. Makes my mouth water just to think about it. The fragrant spices permeate everything that you eat while in India.
And recreating some of those deliciously spiced foods doesn’t have to be difficult at home. You just have to have some basic spices on hand. This homemade curry simmer sauce makes it super easy. This recipe makes a little over 2 cups of curry simmer sauce. Use it for a marinade for chicken. Simmer your favorite veggies in it. Or pour it on just about anything to make an instant Indian meal.
And the best thing is that it is made from all REAL food ingredients. Full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA and additive free coconut milk) is immune and metabolism boosting. Homemade bone broth in itself is a superfood. And the Indian people have it right by adding all of these healing and digestive herbs and spices to their foods.
- 3 TBS coconut oil or ghee
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 4-6 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp cinnamon powder
- ½ tsp cardamom powder
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered
- ½ cup coconut milk (where to buy BPA and additive free coconut milk)
- ½ cup homemade bone broth (recipe HERE)
- 2 TBS fresh lemon juice
- 2-3 inch piece of fresh ginger
- big handful of fresh cilantro
- 1 tsp unrefined sea salt
- Saute onion in fat of choice for 5 minutes. Add cumin seed and continue to cook until onions are translucent and starting to brown.
- Combine minced garlic, turmeric, coriander, cumin, garam masala, cinnamon, and cardamon in small bowl. Pour into pan with onions. Saute spices for about 2 minutes to bring out the flavors. Do not let them smoke. Add a titch of fat if they stick. Remove from heat.
- Combine tomatoes, coconut milk, ginger, cilantro, lemon juice, and salt into high quality blender.
- Pour broth into pan with onions and spices. Scrape this mixture into the blender.
- Process until creamy smooth.
- Use this simmer sauce to cook your favorite meats or vegetables. You can add water or more broth to make a thinner curry sauce. ENJOY!