This salad is the epitome of seasonal eating. Apples, pomegranates, and persimmons all come into season as the leaves begin to turn and fall to the ground. Luckily I live in such an amazingly abundant area and have access to fresh, homegrown fruits all year round. This salad is my ode to healthy eating in the autumn.
Delight your family by making this beautiful salad or impress your friends by serving it at your next holiday gathering. Light and crisp, it pairs nicely with warming, winter foods. The delicate citrus dressing allows the flavors of the fruits to shine, and the candied hazelnuts add a festive touch.
I made this salad for a potluck gathering I went to last week. It was inspired by all of the fall time fruit over-flowing from my fruit bowl on the counter. My little one can’t get enough of the pomegranate seeds right now. She walks around with a red juice-stained chin much of the time.
I love this time of year when we start to gather in warm homes to share and connect. I am grateful for all the the land provides us. May we continue to be gracious stewards and take care of the EARTH.
I hope you are all having a wonderful fall season. I look forward to sharing more holiday recipes with you in the weeks to come.
What is your favorite holiday dish?
- 1 cup raw hazelnuts, preferably soaked and dehydrated
- 2 and ⅕ TBS coconut sugar
- 2 pinches of cinnamon powder
- a pinch of celtic sea salt
- 2 TBS water
- juice from one large orange
- 1 TBS honey
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger, grated
- a couple pinches of celtic sea salt
- 3 TBS olive oil
- organic salad mix, about a ½ pound
- 1 crisp apple, thinly sliced
- 1 medium fuyu persimmon, thinly sliced
- 1 small pomegranate, cracked open and deseeded
- Sprinkle coconut sugar into skillet and begin to heat over medium heat. When sugar begins to melt, toss in hazelnuts and stir to completely coat nuts. Sprinkle on cinnamon, salt, and 2 TBS of water. Stir again to evenly coat. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together until well combined. Set aside.
- Toss salad greens with dressing until evenly coated. Arrange apple and persimmon slices on top. Sprinkle pomegranate seeds all around the salad. Top with cooled candied hazel nuts.
- Serve and enjoy!
Click HERE to PIN THIS!