What’s better than a toasty cup of hot chocolate on a cold winter day? How about a hot antioxidant-rich chocolate drink? Yes, I’m shameless. Anything to sneak some chocolate into my day. But, hey! It’s good for ya! A while back I made the switch from unsweetened cocoa to raw cacao in my kitchen. After reading how commercial cocoa powder that we buy in store is super processed, low on actual cacao, and stripped of nutrients, I started to experiment with raw cacao. Check out these amazing facts about raw cacao:
- Raw Cacao is a superfood
- Raw Cacao is rich in essential vitamins and minerals
- Raw Cacao is known to act as an anti-depressant and to improve your mood
- Raw Cacao is known to increase energy
- Raw Cacao is known to improve cardiac health (thought to decrease risk of stroke and heart attack)
- Raw Cacao is known to reduce appetite and improve weight loss
- Raw Cacao is known to reduce PMS symptoms
- Raw Cacao is known to assist with liver and pancreatic functions (detoxing and sugar control as well as digestion)
- Raw Cacao is known to to be anti-aging and to be rejuvanating
I was sold! I love to use REAL food ingredients in my kitchen, even in my desserts.
Today I am sharing with you my favorite winter time hot drink: Antioxidant Superfood Hot Chocolate. This is not your average hot chocolate. It’s a delicious combination of raw cacao, coconut, and healing spices to boost your immune system and to keep you cozy and warm.
Coconut: anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties; raises metabolic rate; regulates blood sugar; immune boosting.
Turmeric: anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties; shown to block cancer; assists liver in detoxifying;reduces risk for diabetes. Read THIS to learn more about the health benefits of turmeric.
Ginger: cardiac tonic, promotes appetite and assists digestion, and improves absorption and assimilation.
Cardamom: good for the heart, promotes digestion, and a great sweet substitute.
Cinnamon: anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-bacterial and anti-parasitic properties; balances blood sugars; increases blood circulation.
I love to cozy up to a giant mug of this chocolately elixir as I sit and create more recipes to make and share. I love my job!
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA free coconut milk)
- ½ cup filtered water
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- 3 cardamon pods, crushed
- ½ tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 stick of cinnamon OR ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 TBS coconut sugar
- pinch of celtic sea salt
- 2 TBS raw cacao (or unsweetened cocoa powder)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium sauce pan, gently warm coconut milk with water, turmeric, cardamom, ginger, cinnamon, coconut sugar (or honey), and sea salt. Allow to simmer VERY slowly for 10 minutes to let flavors meld.
- Remove from heat. Add raw cacao and vanilla extract. Stir to combine.
- Strain and serve. ENJOY!
Want more recipes with raw cacao?
- Flourless Peppermint Brownies
- Peppermint Chocolate Cookie Balls
- Chocolate Almond Butter Banana Smoothie
Have you made the switch to raw cacao? What is your favorite way to use it?
photo by: elsie.hui