There is nothing better in my mind than the combination of savory and sweet. Imagine the warm sweetness of yams with the salty goodness of bacon. Enough said. These Grain Free Sweet Potato Bacon Waffles are the bomb!
I have to admit: my whole life basically revolves around food. I wake up thinking about what I want for breakfast. I spend time food prepping for the day. I eat a big lunch. I dream about what’s for dinner. I plan for the next day’s meals. I’m a bit obsessed.
And when I like something, I really like it. I have an ongoing love affair with yams and sweet potatoes. I love to make Heavenly Sweet Potato Pudding for breakfast. One of my favorite side dishes is Honey Sesame Yams. I could eat Masala Sweet Potato Bites every day of the week. And Southwest-Style Baked Sweet Potatoes are one of my favorite weeknight dinner recipes.
This recipe was inspired by the super easy sweet potato pancakes my oldest daughter makes in the morning. Just eggs and mashed leftover sweet potato. So simple. So good. And since bacon makes EVERYTHING better, I added some.
You may have seen my recipe for Grain Free Banana Waffles a while back. Those have become a family favorite. I still am “borrowing” my dear friend’s waffle maker, so I thought I would make some more waffles. I’m sort of in love with the waffle maker. I don’t want to give it back. My waffles come out perfect EVERY time. Maybe if I make her a plate of these delicious waffles, she will let me keep it a bit longer.
Hope you enjoy. I’m literally still licking my lips after devouring 2 of these little beauties. I mean, seriously! You can’t really go wrong with sweet potatoes and bacon.Print
Sweet Potato Bacon Waffles (gluten and grain free, paleo)
- Yield: 3 regular round waffles
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA and additive free coconut milk)
- 1 cup cooked sweet potato or yam, mashed
- 2 TBS coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup plus 1 TBS coconut flour, sifted (like this)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp unrefined sea salt (I use this one)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 4 strips cooked bacon, chopped into small pieces
- coconut oil (like this) or ghee (like this) for oiling waffle maker
- ghee or coconut oil
- extra bacon
- fresh fruit or berries
- Preheat waffle maker (like this one).
- Process eggs, coconut milk, mashed sweet potato, coconut oil, and vanilla in blender until well combined..
- Add coconut flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger. Blend again until completely smooth. Batter will be thicker than pancake mix .
- Fold in bacon pieces.
- Brush waffle iron liberally with ghee or coconut oil. Pour batter onto waffle iron. Cook according to waffle maker instructions. All waffle makers are different so keep an eye on the temperature and time.
- Serve immediately with toppings of your choice.