Who doesn’t love pizza? My kids sure do. This week we created this gluten, grain, and dairy free pizza that is officially now my new favorite pizza: Spinach Artichoke Pizza with Caramelized Onions.
Since giving up dairy, I haven’t eaten much pizza. Sadness! Pizza used to be such a fun comfort food to indulge in. I’m pretty sure that it was my favorite food growing up.
What I cook for my family these days consists mostly of organic, season vegetables and properly-sourced meats and eggs. They do, however, ask for carbs at times. That is why I created my Grain Free Rosemary Garlic Flatbread. It is hands down my most favorite grain free and paleo bread recipe.
Last week, we had a craving for pizza and decided to use the flatbread recipe to create a pizza pie that we could all eat. Pizza just isn’t pizza without the cheese so I created a “creamy” sauce with artichokes and spinach to go on top. I sprinkled it with a bit of dairy free Parmesan cheese that is ridiculously easy to make. Add a few caramelized onions. This was the final result:
Finally, a pizza that I can eat. And it tastes amazing. The sweetness of the caramelized onions combined so well with the savory artichoke and spinach sauce. You will never even miss the cheese. I will definitely be making this again.
Hope you enjoy!
- 1 cup tapioca flour (like this)
- ¼ cup coconut flour, sifted (I like THIS brand)
- ½ tsp unrefined sea salt (I use THIS brand)
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA and additive free coconut milk)
- ¼ cup ghee or coconut oil (where to buy good quality coconut oil)
- 1 egg, beaten
- one large onion, sliced into thin rounds
- tbsp ghee or coconut oil
- 1 tsp ghee or coconut oil
- 2 cups packed spinach
- ½ cup artichoke hearts
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ tsp unrefined salt
- ½ cup raw cashew
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (like this)
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup chopped fresh tomato
- Preheat oven to 450’F and place a pizza stone, cast iron skillet, or very thick pizza pan into oven to heat up.
- Gently heat up coconut milk and ghee in a small sauce pan until very warm but not boiling. Combine tapioca flour, sifted coconut flour, and salt in a large bowl.
- Pour coconut/ghee mixture on top. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Allow to sit for a couple of minutes to cool and for coconut flour to absorb.
- Add beaten egg and mix again until full combined.
- CAREFULLY remove hot stone/pan from the oven, cover with unbleached parchment paper, and pour mixture into center. Using a spatula, evenly spread mixture until it is about ¼ inch thick. (you can also prepare flatbread on a cutting board lined with parchment paper and
- CAREFULLY slide the parchment paper and flatbread onto hot stone in the oven.) Bake for 10 minutes and remove from oven.
- Saute onion rounds in 2 TBS ghee or coconut oil for 20-25 minutes on low-medium heat. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking.
- Process cashews, nutritional yeast, and salt in a food processor until you have a coarse, even consistency- like crumbly Parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Saute spinach in 1 tsp of fat of choice for about a minute, until it starts to wilt. Add spinach and rest of sauce ingredients to food processor and process until creamy smooth.
- Decrease oven temperature to 400'F. Spread spinach artichoke sauce onto pizza. Add caramelized onions and optional chopped tomato.
- Bake for 10 minutes, or until pizza is done to your liking. I prefer to bake it right on the rack for a crispier bottom.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with dairy free Parmesan.