My garden is pretty much exploding after the last little bit of rain that we had. I love going out there in the morning with my little one to see all the abundance that it has to offer. It’s really important to me that my kids feel a connection to their food source. The zucchinis and summer squash are out of control this year. It’s almost comical how big they have gotten. And that means I have to find things to do with it all. Today we are having Southwestern Zucchini Soup.
I love this soup because it is fast, easy, and super savory. I use homemade bone broth to give it some healing qualities. I use raw, grass fed milk but you can use whatever milk that you choose if dairy doesn’t work for you. I have made it with homemade coconut milk , and it was delicious. I had tons of zucchinis and yellow summer squash so that is what I used. The lemon and the cilantro add the final zesty touch. And don’t forget about the avocado. HEAVEN……Enjoy!Print
Southwestern Zucchini Soup
- Yield: 4
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3 cups zucchini, chopped into small pieces
- 1 and 1/2 cups yellow summer squash, chopped into small pieces
- 4 cups good quality homemade broth (chicken, beef, or veggie)
- 2- 3 TBS green chilis OR jalapenos, finely chopped (fresh or canned)
- 1 cup milk (I used grass fed, raw or coconut but you can use any milk that you choose)
- 1 tsp of cumin powder (like this)
- 1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 TBS fresh lemon or lime juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 TBS nutritional yeast (for a little bit of extra flavor) (I use THIS ONE)
- 2 TBS butter, ghee (like this), or coconut oil (like this)
- avocado slices for garnish
- Saute onion in fat of choice until translucent and starting to brown. Add chopped garlic and cumin powder and saute another minute or two.
- Add chopped zucchini and yellow squash, and saute for 3-4 minutes to soften.
- Add broth and green chilis/jalapenos. Cover and bring to a boil. Once it comes to a boil, turn off heat, leave lid on, and allow flavors to meld for 10 minutes.
- Add milk, salt and pepper to taste, cilantro, lemon/lime, and nutritional yeast. Serve immediately.
- Garnish with avocado slices.
Click HERE to PIN THIS!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.