- 2–3 pounds chicken thighs and drumsticks (I used 4 and 4)
- 1 TBS ghee (like this) or coconut oil (like this)
- 1/2 of a medium onion, sliced into half rounds
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (like this)
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder (like this)
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom powder
- OPTIONAL: 1/4 – 1/2 tsp cayenne powder
- 4 cloves of fresh garlic, minced
- 1 and 1/2 TBS fresh grated ginger
- 1 and 1/2 tsp unrefined sea salt (I use this one)
- 2 cups homemade bone broth (see recipe HERE)
- 1 cup dried apricots (like this), roughly chopped
- 2 cups sweet potatoes (or carrots or winter squash), cubed into bite-sized pieces
- GARNISH: fresh cilantro
- Combine cumin, turmeric, coriander, cinnamon, cardamom, and minced garlic (and optional cayenne) in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Melt the fat of choice on medium heat in a large skillet and cook chicken pieces for 3 minutes on each side. You may need to do this in batches if your pan is not big enough. Transfer into crock pot (I use this one) as you are done.
- When chicken is done, add onions to pan and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add spice mixture and saute another 30 seconds to bring out the flavors. Add extra fat if it begins to stick. Turn off heat.
- Add bone broth, ginger, and sea salt into skillet and then pour entire mixture mixture over the chicken in the crock pot.
- Cook for 3 hours on LOW then add the dried apricots and chopped sweet potatoes (or carrots/winter squash).
- Cook for at least another 3 hours.
- Enjoy! Serve with lots of fresh cilantro for a fragrant, amazing meal.
I usually like to sear my chicken pieces and saute my onions and spices before hand for extra flavor. I also add my veggies in half way through as I prefer them a bit less cooked. But if you are short on time, you can just throw it all into the slow cooker in the morning without all the fuss and it will still be amazing.