Some things are just beyond words. That is how I feel about this simple yet decadent dessert. I have had Russian Cream in some fancy restaurant in the past, and the memory of it’s creamy yumminess has lingered in my mind. Luckily, it is a snap to make at home. This is my version: Russian Cream with Figs and Pistachio.
This recipe was inspired by the over-abundance of figs in my kitchen right now. After making Cardamon Fig Chia Jam, I still had a big basket of figs left over. What to make now? Since figs are so luscious and succulent on their own, I wanted to make a dessert that didn’t compete with their rich, sweet, earthy flavor. I knew just the thing.
Eating local and seasonal food is good for your health and the environment. It also makes your food more flavorful and nutritious because it has not been stored for ages or shipped long distances. Basically, you can enjoy better food and support local farmers by buying meat, eggs and produce in season. I highly recommend frequenting your local farmer’s markets and getting to know your local farmers. Or just hit up your amazing friends who are willing to share the bounty of the season, as I did with these beautiful figs.
Like I said, this dessert needs few words. It’s simplicity and elegance speaks for itself. It’s definitely a dessert to impress. Be prepared for people begging for more. You are going to LOVE this dessert, I promise!
- In a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over filtered water and allow to sit for 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine coconut milk and honey thoroughly and heat to just before boiling.
- SLOWLY whisk in gelatin a little bit at a time making sure it dissolves completely.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes.
- Once cooled slightly, whisk in sour cream, creme fraiche, or greek yogurt. Add vanilla extract.
- Pour into 4 serving dishes or glasses and chill for at least 4 hours (or overnight.)
- TO ASSEMBLE: Arrange fig pieces on top of cream, sprinkle with pistachios, and add a titch of lemon zest.
- Serve and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.