This is how we do salad in the winter. All the fresh, crispy greens + perfectly roasted vegetables + a creamy lemon tahini dressing.
How’s January going so far, friends? The New Year brings so much pressure, doesn’t it?
Well, I’m here to tell you that I don’t care if you follow through on your big New Year’s resolutions or not. Because if you read my post last week, you know that I think more long term when it comes to health choices and prefer to simply recommit to making good choices for myself daily. Because every little thing we do daily leads us down the path of good health OR leads us down the road to feeling crappy. What do you choose?
One of the easiest things for me to prioritize in my journey to health is food. I keep it simple. I focus on eating a balanced, real food diet with lots and lots of vegetables. That’s it. If I focus on getting as many vegetables as I can on my plate (+ a bit of good quality protein and fats), it doesn’t leave much room for the things I prefer to avoid like processed foods and sugar. It’s all about the choices I make. Eat lots of vegetables, feel like a rock star. Eat crappy processed food, feel like crap.
That’s brings us to this super simple roasted vegetable winter salad. It’s such an easy way to pile on the vegetables, whichever ones you love. It’s full of vital nutrients and is full-bodied enough to eat in cold weather.
It’s a great starting point for creating a hearty and filling winter meal. Eat it by itself or add your favorite protein.
Here’s the recipe deets:
❤️romaine lettuce… is my favorite salad green because it’s so crispy and juicy. It hold up well when dressed and is high in fiber, vitamin A, vitamin K, vitamin C, folate, and minerals like potassium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium, calcium, and manganese.
❤️arugula… has a slightly spicy flavor that pairs so well with the earth, slightly sweet flavor of the roasted vegetables. It’s a great choice to add to winter salads as it’s loaded with antioxidants, vitamins and minerals.
❤️roasted vegetables… I like to use regular and white sweet potatoes, fingerling potatoes, delicata squash and golden beets. Feel free to use other vegetables like carrots, parsnips, fennel, or other winter squash.
❤️lemon tahini dressing… is perfect for a winter salad because it’s so creamy and rich. I crave grounding foods during winter, and this delicious dressing adds a grounding energy to the salad. Tahini is full of healthy fats and essential amino acids. It also contains B vitamins, along with minerals, including magnesium, copper, phosphorus, manganese, iron and zinc.
❤️pumpkin seeds... add a bit of crunch. They are also loaded with fiber, antioxidants, magnesium, manganese, copper, protein and zinc. Pumpkin seeds are a good source of plant-based omega-3s.
Like most things in life, simple is always better. And that’s just what this winter salad is. Crispy romaine, peppery arugula, + earthy roasted vegetables all drizzled with a tangy lemon tahini dressing. I like to call this soul food.
It’s almost cheating to call this salad a recipe. It’s more of an idea. It’s a strategy to eat more vegetables. It’s way to get more healthy carbs into your diet. And it’s a plan to reduce food waste by roasting up whatever you have in the kitchen so it doesn’t go to waste.
This has been my go-to all winter long. I often make it into a breakfast salad by adding 2 perfectly fried or poached eggs and a bit of sauerkraut. It leaves me feeling full and satisfied. The family has been loving it with a perfectly roasted chicken. You can also serve it with my easy broiled salmon.
DID YOU MAKE THIS AND LOVE IT? I WANT TO SEE YOUR CREATIONS. SHARE THE LOVE ON INSTAGRAM AND TAG @savorylotus AND USE THE HASHTAG #savorylotus FOR A CHANCE TO BE FEATURED. FOLLOW SAVORY LOTUS ON PINTEREST AND FACEBOOK TO KEEP UP WITH LATEST CONTENT AND UPDATES.Print
- 1 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 delicata squash, sliced in half lengthwise, deseeded, and sliced
- 1/2 pound of fingerling potatoes, chopped
- 2 small golden beets, peeled and sliced
- 1 tablespoon melted butter or ghee OR avocado oil
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 4 cups arugula (about 4 ounces)
- pumpkin seeds (pepitas) for garnish
FOR LEMON TAHINI DRESSING
- Preheat oven to 400’F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Place chopped vegetables onto baking sheets. Drizzle with melted fat and toss to coat. Roast until golden and soft- about 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven. Allow vegetables to cool slightly.
- To make lemon tahini dressing, whisk together tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, optional sweetener, optional garlic, and 2 tablespoons of water. Add more water to thin to desired consistency. Add salt to taste and adjust for lemon flavor.
- Arrange romaine lettuce and arugula onto large salad plate. Top with roasted vegetables. Garnish with pumpkin seeds.
- To serve, portion out salad onto individual plates and drizzle with lemon tahini dressing. Enjoy!
PRO TIP: double the amount of vegetables you are roasting so you have more vegetables meal prepped to eat throughout the week. Roasted vegetables freeze well and can be easily reheated in a toaster oven or oven.
CLICK HERE to PIN THIS!
As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.