- bunch of basil (leaves only)
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, macadamia nuts, hemp seeds, or pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast (optional) (like this)
- 1/3 cup olive oil, plus more if needed (my fav organic brand)
- To make pesto: blend basil, garlic, pine nuts, salt, and optional nutritional yeast in food processor until you get a thick green paste. While processor is still running, slowly pour in olive oil. Scrape sides and add more olive oil until desire consistency is reached.
- Preheat oven to 400′ F. Line baking sheet with parchment paper OR place a cooling rack on top of baking sheet.
- Combine all meatball ingredients in a large bowl until well incorporated.
- Roll into 24 small meatballs ( I use a small cookie scoop to get uniform balls) and place onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until baked through and slightly golden. Be sure not to overcook.
- Serve immediately with extra pesto drizzled on top. Meatballs freeze well for later use.
The nutritional yeast in my pesto recipe is to add a bit of a “cheesy” flavor. It is totally optional. If dairy is your thing, feel free to add a bit of parmesan cheese.
I usually use almond flour or cassava flour in my meatballs. You can sub 2-3 tbsp of coconut flour if that’s what you have.