- 2 cups lightly toasted hazelnuts
- 1/2 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder (I use THIS)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 3/4 cup full fat coconut milk (I use THIS)
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I use THIS or THIS) **see note
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 pound fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- extra toasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- To make crust, lightly grease 9 inch tart pan with coconut oil. Process hazelnuts, cacao powder, and salt in food processor until resembles a coarse flour. Add maple syrup and melted coconut oil and pulse until well incorporated. Press mixture into tart pan with removable bottom. Set aside.
- To make filling, coarsely chop chocolate and place into a large glass bowl. Bring coconut milk to a gentle simmer and pour over chopped chocolate. Wait one minute, add vanilla extract and pinch of salt, and then stir mixture until creamy smooth. Pour mixture evenly into prepared tart crust.
- Place tart of fridge to set for at least 2 hours. Arrange fresh cherries over top just before serving. Enjoy!
- Store leftovers in fridge, tightly covered.
- I like to use good quality dark chocolate bars for my filling, but you can use any bittersweet chocolate or dark chocolate chips that you have on hand. You get to choose the sweetness factor of this tart by the chocolate that you choose.
- Toasting the hazelnuts for the crust really brings out the flavor. I highly recommend doing so. Feel free to use toasted almond, walnuts, or pecans if that’s what you have.